Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

PPPP Message on E24 Computer - how to fix?

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by Texas Shark, Aug 4, 2008.

Texas Shark

The battery drained on my 1988 E24. After I jump started the car and charged the battery, I reset the clock/date sucessfully. However, on the other functions, I am gettting a PPPP message.

The manual says contact the dealer if PPPP comes up. The dealer's Service Consultant could not reset.

Suggestions or next steps?

Thanks.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You may need a replacement computer. They are not too hard to get and actually pretty easy to replace. Out of curiosity, how did you jump the car?

Texas Shark

Jump started from my truck battery to the 635. Have done it before w/no issues.

Replace the computer? Wasn't expecting that.:confused:
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

If the truck was running, it could have damaged the delicate circuitry in the computer. Even if not, these things are old and somewhat iffy at times. I would try to unplug the fuse to the computer for a while then plug it back in. All of mine work, but I have replcaed more than a few for others.

Texas Shark

The truck was running.

I will try the fuse trick. Absolutely everything works on the car as new. Would hate to have the computer out. It usually tells me when it hits 107 degrees...like today.

dly17

Same thing happens on my E30 - a well documented fix _we_ use is to disconnect BOTH battery cables at the battery, and briefly touch them together (but not to the battery). Don't know why it works, but it does. Since the cars are of roughly the same era and design, I'd consider it.

David

ralex guest

JayM guest

I had the same problem after boosting my '88 735i. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for about an hour, reconnected and everything reset. The e30 fix posted above works as well.