Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Wanted - Interior Carpet for E28

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by bmwcca1000, Aug 4, 2008.

bmwcca1000 guest

Anyone know a good source for pre-cut/drop-in carpet for the interior?

Thanks.

alotawatts

kotodama

BMW Mobile Tradition

I ordered my carpet from Maxamillian. It was expensive and you have to make sure they have the color you need. My first order went through but that color was discontinued; this seems to be a problem with this company in that there are prices and parts listed for sale but unavailable from BMW.

granthr

If you are looking for new and cost is not an issue I would buy it from BMW. It will be a perfect fit. They are molded for the car. However these are expensive and as mentioned above they might be NLA (No Longer Available).

So my second suggestion would be to look for a used one. Decent ones are out there. Don't be afraid of really dirty ones as long as they are not stained, burned (cigarettes), ripped, or torn. These are pretty durable carpets and will clean up. Just rent a portable carpet cleaner and have at it. The kind that use steam are best, but the hot water chemical ones do work as well. The carpet I got was gross, but it clean up amazingly. I couldn't be happier.

I changed the interior of my 318i from beige to black leather w/ sport seats. I got most of the pieces from a junk yard, the sport seats from a BMW breaker (BMW Wholesale) and the carpet from a fellow club member who answered my ad in Roundel. He had a parts car he was getting rid of and didn't want the carpet.

I don't know if this applies to the E28s, but on the E30s BMW did two different kinds of carpets over the years. Most cars have the padding attached (bonded) right to the carpet. But there were some cars in 85 86 years that had the padding and the carpet separate. So if you get a used carpet or new make sure you are getting the same setup as what your car has. I am not really sure what years BMW did what. I say this because both my 84 318i and my 88 M3 have the padding attached to the carpet. But I did see a few cars in junk yards that had the padding and carpet separate. These cars were 85 and 86 model years. This is kind of BMWs MO, changing things like this through out a model life cycle. So just be aware.

One last thing, if you do go used, be very careful not to tear the carpet when removing it from the old car and putting into yours. This carpet is 20+ years old and can tear easily!

Good luck finding what you are looking for.

GR