Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

530 xi wagon

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by bobajoul, Mar 8, 2008.

bobajoul

Thinking of getting 530 xi wagon to replace X3 next year, love getting CPO warrantied cars- better warranty than new and much longer. Anyone out there have any experience. caveats, etc. to share with me?

TMQ

I know people love the 535xiT. I think the 530xiT should also be excellent, and it's such a rare car.

BILL CIM guest

just got 2007 530 xiT

I picked up my CPO 2007 sports wagon last week, in exchange for '99 E-46. The 530xiT is deep green metallic with tan leather, steptronic, cold, premium, sports, and premium sound. Now I need to find a way to get a good 2" receiver hitch mopunted to carry bikes and tow a very light trailer.
    ...bill

lugnut guest

I was toying with the idea of replacing my 2007 Yukon with a 535xi T. I am fairly certain it will fit the bill when it comes to real-world cargo capacity, but I am curious what type of mileage you have been getting in it? I am getting 15mpg aggregate in my Yukon (with the cylinder shutdown thingy I get around 19mpg highway at 85mph), but filling up the 26 gallon tank gets tiresome. Especially in the winter in VT when I use 4wd, the mileage really dips down.

BILL CIM guest

I've pushed two tanks-full through the 530XiT so far, each included a rather substantial road-trip holding a steady 72mph most of the time. The result: 25.5 mpg, measured accurately. I remember that when the E-46 was new it also gave about 25-28 mpg at interstate speeds. But overtime that improved to 29-32 mpg on the same roads and at the same pace. By the way, this 530 sportswagon is also based in VT, and we will get better mpg when we get the summer fuel formulation and also have less demand for cabin heat. I'm not sure that the sportswagon would match a Yukon in hauling, but I do plan to phase out our Grand Cherokee V-8 in favor of the BMW; that's why I'm still researching for a proper 2 inch receiver hitch. I understand they are avaible from the BMW dealers in UK, but not in the US. Anyone out there have further information?

ExGMan

530xiT Hitch

Bavarian Auto Sport (www.bavauto.com) shows part number 554337 as a hitch which will fit a 2007 530xiT. They have a small diagram. It does not look like the European hitches I've seen.

189866 guest

2006 530xiT

I just picked up a 2006 530xiT with 6-speed manual. Getting 28-29mpg for first 2 tankfuls.

awesome car, even compared to my 2000 528iT

Steve

2006 530 xit

I recently bought a 2006 530xit from a Midwest dealer. The car is a CPO with 12000miles, owned only by the dealer and said to have been a sales demo. Absolutely showroom new without even a surface scratch. Great car. It is considerably more sophisticated than my 93 and 00 5seriers' wagons. Lots of gadgets. I am still trying to get used to iDrive along with the fact that there is no temperature gauge or dip stick. It was also my preference to buy the 530 rather than the twin turbo 535. I am still not sold on turbos and have no need for more power considering my wife is no stranger to speeding tickets ! The sunroof is a bit bigger than I'd like. Never the less a beautiful car.

az3579

Sorry, you're gonna have a hard time not getting speeding tickets with a Bimmer that has anything above and including a 4-pot. Pretty much, anything they make. :D

bobajoul

535?

Now considering a 535, as the supply of good, used low milage 530 XitTs is starting to dry up. Was a bit concerned about the whole turbo reliability issue, but would like to hear some opinions.

jdelbalso guest

530 xiT

I recently (3 weeks ago) purchased a 530 xiT to replace my 99 528 iT. While the 530 is wonderful, it is not quite a sporting as the 528 was. Still, I love the car and would recommend it highly. It is amazing how BMW has kept the operation of the vehicle so similar that it was like putting on an old (but better) shoe. Go for the 530 xiT! The increase in power is amazing, but the gas mileage is significantly less.

Added 1/1/10
    having had my 530xiT for 11 months now, and 12K miles further in, I love the car. Fabulous highway vehicle, have taken multiple trips with it and it is marvelous. Finally able to get winter tires this winter, and it performs much better in snow and ice, where with its original all season tires its performance (even with all wheel drive) was not as good as my previous E39 wagon with Blizzaks. The nav system really helps, though I am waiting for the latest upgrade DVD. Mileage high has been 28 all highway, city mileage is a bit of a disappointment averaging about 18-18.5 compared to about 21-22 on my previous E39. Would not trade this back for the old however.

dochusar guest

I have been driving a 09 535 wagon since October and through the entire winter. I have had no problems with the turbo. Since I live in Northwest Jersey, I have driven with hills and snow. The twin turbo engine is a pleasure to drive. Mileage is slightly under what I thought it should be averaging about 20 miles per gallon with mixed city/mountain/highway driving and about 24 on the interstate. Speed is always a factor and on the interstate is just under 80.

I did a lot of research before buying and am very satisfied with my choice.

Walter

Magda Whiteley

530XiT - The Ultimate Driving Machine!

It was for 5 Series wagons that that line was conceived! Hi there fellow wagoners, bought our CPO 530XiT last August, Olivine Green, Steptronic, Comfort Access and all the standard goodies. It replaced a 1998 Volvo V70 GLT light pressure turbo we bought new, picking it up from the factory in Gothenburg (even though it was built in Belgium). I loved that car, thought it was great, but man, it was no 530XiT. Night and day. A confession, I love wagons.

We bought the wife's 325Cic in late 2004, I was impressed with the build quality and ride and it certainly could be thrown about a bit. When I was looking to replace Monty I started to seriously consider a new 535XiT but 60 large for a wagon was pushing it a bit! I researched the ol' CPO Program offering and thought it was a good deal if I could find a low mileage one and quickly homed in on Mr. Green, a low mileage example driven by the main dealer owner's wife...allegedly. Anyway, pristine condition apart from my dribble while inspecting it.

To cut a long boring story of homage short....

THE BEST CAR EVER! Exclusive and as rare as hen's teeth (I look down my nose at E60 owners (peasants!)..'cept M5s of course...you can get an M5 wagon in Europe!), exemplary handling and ride, loads of 'nice touches' all over, any excuse to drive, fight the wife for the keys, er, Comfort Access thingy. Better gas consumption than the V70 but with 60 more BHP! Engine's as smooth as a baby's bum, lovely slab sided design, xDrive and iDrive...dunno if xDrive has ever 'worked' but I bet if it wasn't there I'd notice it er, wasn't, and dunno why people complain about iDrive, I think it's great.

Hmm, I need to go drive Mr. Green, it's been at least 2 hours since he was switched off!

Happy Hauling. Paul

az3579

Ha, we're not in Volvo-land anymore; it's a touring now, not a wagon. :D

Magda Whiteley

Touring Wagon

AZ5379,

Yes, certainly not in Volvo-land anymore.

Now, Touring is the moniker wagons / estates (UK) get in Europe, over here in the New World they're referred to, at least E61s are, as Sports Wagons. In the BMW USA production 'BMW Magazine issue 2 | 2005' they refer (on the front cover and the inside story) to the then just launched 530xi as a Sports Wagon, and also as 'The Perfect Car?'

Well, to me, yes, it's a Touring as I was hoping to get that for the license plate but someone already had it!

The real catalyst for me to get a 5 Series wagon was a) the 3 Series Wagon's not big enough and b) seeing a black M5 Touring on the streets of Tokyo in 2007! Gorgeous!

Good luck to you sir!

bcording

535XI engine relability

I factory ordered my 2008 535XI in July 2007.

From what I have read, early twin turbo 535s suffered from high pressure fuel pump failures. My fuel pump has been replaced once and the engine has run great.

On a trip to Florida, with less that 2,000 miles on the car, with the cruise control set at 78mph and the AC off, we got 34mpg. With the AC on we got 28mpg.

The engine and 6 speed steptronic transmission are fabulous.

I would not recommend buying an early 2008 manufactured 535XI as ours suffered from numerous battery discharges that were finally fixed by BMWNA. From my experience with BMWNA, I would never recommend buying a new BMW to anyone.

The 535XIT was my first choice but we ended up with a sedan. Good luck on your future purchase. A friend of mine had a 530IT with a 6 speed manual that was totalled and finding a manual 535XIT was impossible. She ended up with an automatic 535XIT and it works well.

Good luck.

Buck Cording
    2008 535XI
    1973 2002tii