Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E39 Cruise Control Problem

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by 391075, Aug 1, 2008.

The cruise contol on my E39 just stopped functioning. The indicator symbol appears on the dash when depressed but thats abt it. Any ideas ??

Thanks

catchuk guest

i would look under where the pedals are and make sure the switches are engaged for the brake and clutch, there are rubber stoppers that once you hit the brake or clutch it'll let out the switch to disengage the cruise control. I had one mess up on me once.

I see what appears to be a round black rubber pad where the clutch pedal meets the capet but no switch. Maybe I am missing something ??

catchuk guest

No, the pad on the carpet is not what I was refering to, that doesnt do anything but make it so you dont have to put the pedal all the way to the floor.

The rubber pads i was refering to are kind of under the dash above the petal, you may need to take the panel off to get to them.

It appears the rectangular white/red plastic switches are reversed. The switch for the brake remains on the "in" position untill the brake pedal is depressed. The switch for the clutch remains on the "out" postion until the clutch pedal is depressed. Neither of the switches stick. If this is correct it then must be something else.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You need to check the switches for continuity to make sure they work.