Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E38 from Transporter

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by Autohaus, Jul 30, 2008.

Autohaus guest

In the movie, the car is said to be a 1999 735i. However, I read in other online sites that the car was a V-12 (making it a 750) converted to have the manual trans. Does anyone know which is correct? Also, did any E38's come with a manual gearbox? (Euro models)....

az3579

It was a 735. I remember that distinctly when I was watching the movie, thinking "I'm surprised he didn't have the V12". There were some E38 manuals, but I don't know if it was only the lower engine ranges or if the V12 was included...

m3racer75 guest

If you watch it again, it's actually an automatic. He just keeps knocking it up and down gears.

BMWtoyz guest

According to the web site "Internet Movie Data Base" (IMDb) the car is a 750. They say, "Factual errors: Frank describes the BMW as a "1999 BMW 735", but it's a V12 engine so it is in fact a BMW 750." Web site: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293662/goofs They also say it is indeed a 6 speed, "Frank's car is a BMW 750i E38 (pre-facelift). The car in the movie is the only one ever produced with a manual six-speed gearbox. This information is obtained from the full-length audio commentary available on the DVD. People have made conversions using the manual gearbox from the BMW 850CSi E31 but that car is genuinely rare." Web site: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293662/trivia

Autohaus guest

Thanks for the research. What a beast. I wonder where that car is now. I hope it wasn't the one that got blown up :eek:, since they use several cars for different takes, shots, etc...

m3racer75 guest

Autohaus guest

az3579

Yep. I watched really closely and observed the clutch pedal in one of the scenes of the bank job.

Autohaus guest

The E38 looks like a well rounded E34. Speaking of the E34, the movie Ronin has maybe the best car chase scene ever.

m3racer75 guest

I agree, Ronin has one of the best car chases ever. It should it was directed by John Frankenheimer, the same guy that directed Grand Prix and BMW's first Hire Film which also features an E38 7.

Silver740 guest

According to my dealer, only European E38 cars got the manual transmission.

KitHarwick guest

I know this post is way late in the game, but am I the only one that gets a gagging feeling because he switched to an Audi in the never should have been made #2 and #3?

And the red 5er in the super bowl commercial would have easily made that turn.....

Autohaus guest

He should have been in an Audi R8 in the 3rd movie. True, too bad he wasn't driving Bimmers no more but I still liked the movies even though the fighting scenes are full of Matrix stuff :cool:. BTW, the red E28 in the SB commercial was a beauty.

granthr

VAC Motorsport here in Philadephia converted an E38 750 into a six speed from an 850. It was featured in Roundel a few years ago. It was run in the One Lap of America.

I love the E38 SWB with sport package. It is such a great car.

Just a factoid, in case you didn't know. The euro E38 735i is a 3.5 liter V8.

ChrisV

There are quite a few E38s here in the states that are or have been converted to manuals, using the 6 speed from the 540i. I know of one that should be back here on the east coast very shortly, that has the 6 speed and a supercharger, putting out almost 600 hp at the rear wheels... The price for doing the conversion has been coming down, so it's getting into the range of a lot of us E38 owners.

And yeah, in Europe you could get all sorts of engine choices in the E38, from a 2.8 liter I6 gas, to a 4 liter I6 turbo diesel. ther was also a 3 liter v8 as well as the 3.5 liter, and you could get manuals in all versions except the V12 cars on the mainland.

missmelyssa guest

I just watched Transporter 3 last weekend. I've watched all of them. I like the movies, they are entertaining. But yes, I was hoping he'd stick to bimmers.

Autohaus guest

Ah yes the E38 728i :rolleyes:. Underpowered :eek:. I'm suprised they didn't make a 716i :)