Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

new 3 series oil change advice

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by BIMMIR, Jul 29, 2008.

Jeron guest

I was referring to the extraction tube on the topside extractor. Put a dip in it, kill the vacuum, and drain the tube into the sample bottle. No mess.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

No dipstick on the new cars, Jeron. They are stuck with draining it from the bottom of the car.

Jeron guest

Sorry, too many threads I forgot which model this one was about. :)

jesimmons guest

Exactly... Thats why the Fumoto valve seems like the best approach for newer engines lacking a dip stick.

devauxb guest

Have used FUMOTO (not on a BMW yet though)

Not sure if you've already installed this replacement plug. I've used it on my Toyota Tundra and Subaru Outback with good results. Since my 08 328xi is under maintenance warranty I'll wait.

My experierences with Fumoto have been great. It is a well made, solid brass unit with a high quality valve. I've never seen even a hint of a drip coming from it in its closed position. It really does make the oil changes less messy. The Tundra is up so high, that oil was splashing as it hit the drain pan. No more with a plastic tube directing the oil.

I'm not at all affliated with Fumoto, but this is one product that I plan to continue using until I don't change oil anymore.

The one downside is that I haven't brought a vehicle with this on to have it changed by anyone else other than myself. Not sure the garages would know what to do with it! :)

jesimmons guest

Thanks for the feedback devauxb.

I have not installed the Fumoto yet. I have it ready, though and plan to install it at my next oil change in a couple of K miles.

J.