Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

EVAP shut off valve stuck closed

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by Mike Bergin, Mar 15, 2023.

Mike Bergin MikeB

I just replaced my shut off valve due to an engine light and the code it was posting. I'm wondering if I got a bad valve or if something else could trigger this fault code. The shut off valve is a new BMW valve but I'm still getting the check engine light and the code indicates the shut off valve is stuck closed. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

larryengel328

I’ve been chasing random codes (including evap reed valve) on my E46 for a few months. The car doesn’t get driven much. Try testing the battery and system voltage. My battery light came on last weekend and I remembered that I had a similar experience a couple of years ago in another car. Bad battery can cause check engine light to come on. I’m not sure this is your problem, but its worth checking out.

MGarrison

There are some E36 ETM's (electrical troubleshooting manuals) here:
    http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/

Short of trying to look at wiring diagrams myself, afraid I don't have much to help for further insight. Try google searching your specific problem, sometimes it's surprising what you can find - BMW E36 shutoff valve codes (or somesuch). Hope you can trace it. Remembering now, it's an issue on 80's era bimmers, maybe not so much for the more 'electroniced' OBDII & later cars, but circuit boards could suffer cracked solder lines, I recall my old mechanic hand soldering SI boards using and eye loupe. Point being, if all the voltages check out from what's supposed to trigger it, then maybe something on a logic board (if it's a logic board for instance and not all part of some microprocessor)