Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1984 533iA power steering pump

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by rempster, Feb 25, 2018.

rempster

Hi All - I'm new to the club. I have an 1984 533iA that needs a new power steering pump. The build date is 10/83 which apparently makes it difficult to locate. I can find many that are for the cars that are built after 4/84 but not before. Any suggestions?
    Thanks much

charlson89

rempster

Thank you! I did try to go thru rockauto to have mine rebuilt but was declined as "out of stock", so my order was cancelled. I think my best options are to find another place to rebuild mine. My pump does have a plate that has stamped numbers and a serial number so I think it would be best to keep the same one on the original car. Any other thoughts?
    Thanks again!!

charlson89

rempster

Thank - I rechecked rockauto and they had relisted another rebuilder so I tried that and they accepted my request this time. I will let you know how it works out. My fingers are crossed

rempster

Am waiting on my p/steering pump still. While waiting could you tell me who you might recommend for parts and technical advice? Such as oil leaking behind the cylinder head!

MGarrison

http://www.mye28.com/ - lots of E28 experience & expertise there -

There are many, many places that sell parts; Roundel advertisers are a good place to start. You can use realoem.com to look up your car & specific parts numbers, then google "BMW" & the part number. If you need a part that's oem only & not available in the aftermarket, many dealers offer parts discounts to club members. Locally here, both dealers are 15% off on parts. Bavauto.com is a pretty comprehensive BMW site, but if they're special ordering a part, that probably means they have to get it from a dealer, so in that instance taking advantage of a member parts discount from a dealer might be better pricing. There can also be a variety of part mfgrs., so comparing what brands some sites are selling to the cheapest you dig up on the internet can help give an idea if you've landed on a quality part at a bargain price or a cheap part you might want to take a pass on.

charlson89

If you have any other question about issues with the E28 you can either post questions on the forums. Or you can email one of the TSA listed here on the CCA website. I am listed there my user name basically give my email away.

I have an 83 533i, the other source for parts I use is autohaus az. Pretty quick shipping free over $50. I have also used pelican, rock auto, and Bavauto

Also I use Bmw of south atlanta, They have great parts diagrams for looking up specific part numbers, for metric hoses and clamps i have used bell metric

1983533i

Hi There 541570. You seem very educated. I also have an 83 533i with a speedometer that has failed. My local mechanic(not a BMW specific mechanic) said there is voltage at the sender so the meter must be bad. He said there may be someone on line that will rebuild the meter and keep the odometer reading in tact. Do you know of anyone?
    Cheers
    Bill.

MGarrison

There's a company called odogears.com, sometimes these issues are mechanical with failed plastic parts, you might try asking them. As I mention above, go check out mye28.com, tons of info and expertise there.