Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

’01 530i Sport headlight help needed

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by chrisboone, Aug 30, 2022.

chrisboone

I recently acquired a 530i Sport (5 speed w/63K miles). The low beam headlights barely light up the road in darkness, although they have the correct H7 halogen bulbs (new). On the left and right, the bulbs and reflectors are loose in the housing and move in and out when pushed or pulled. These are currently Angel eyes, although my guess is a previous owner tried to adapt these. I’ve tried to find out what headlight options BMW offered with the E39, but the internet is simply trying to sell new sets, not explain what lighting options BMW offered with this car. Does anyone have thoughts on how to get the correct reflectors to fit the housing properly? I am grateful for your help!

Steve C Wilson

The plastic links that are connected to the headlight adjusters have disintegrated because of the heat generated in the headlight assemblies. This is an obvious manufacturing defect.

They need to be replaced so it is possible to adjust the headlights. There are some videos explaining this process. I used aluminum parts. I can give you some guidance if necessary.