Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Air Bag Warning Light

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Pete540i, Jul 29, 2008.

Pete540i guest

I have a 97' 540i. I recently tried to fix a noise coming from the drivers side window (squeaks going down an has a mechanical clicking sound going up). To check it out I pulled off the door panel and I had to pull off the sound/vapor barrier (very messy). In order to pull off the barier I also had to remove the air bag unit. When all was put back together (initial problem never resolved) I had the Air Bag Warning light illuminated on the dash. Is there a way to clear it without taking it to the dealer? I'm sure I reinstalled it installed. Thanks

Bimmerdan

Did you disconnect the battery before you unplugged the airbag unit?

I have a hunch you're probably going to have it reset with the proper reset tool. Most shops should be able to do that for you, it wouldn't have to be the dealer. You may even want to try AutoZone or Pep Boys.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Go to an independent shop. They need a Launch X431 or a Snap On MT2500 (brick) or similar, or Autologic. There may be others but I have experience with those. They will be cheaper and if you wait until you have to take it in for something else, they may do it cheaper. Make friends with your local independent BMW shop. We save you money! BTW, I am guessing that you turned the key on with the bag disconnected, right? Auto zone or Pep boys will only have an OBD2 scanner and BMW blocks out anything other than required OBD2 functions from regular scanners.

Pete540i guest

To answer both - yes I did disconnect the battery first and then had to reconnect it once the airbag was disconnected so I could play with the window switch. I did disconnect the battery again before reconnecting the airbag. I had hoped that there was someway of clearing the indicator without the use of a special tool but I guess that's not the case. Incidently, making friends here in Italy (Naples) with the local BMW dealer is almost a non-starter - they just want your american money. Thanks.

mooseheadm5

Ahh. Try to find an independent shop. Most people in Europe will be using the Launch X431 or the Autologic. For Autologic, look for any BMW, Benz or Rover shop (although the software is car specific, so they would have to work on BMWs.) For Launch X431, any shop might have one and it can scan virtually any car and definitely clear the airbag code.

Pete540i guest

Thanks Paul - I'll try to get out in town this coming week to find a "mechanico" who might have one of the tools you mentioned. I'll let you know how it works out if I find one. Ciao.
    Pete

GNG623 guest

Pete quick tip for the next time you have to remove the vapor barrier. Just unbolt the side airbag and let it hang down, it will be out of your way so you can perform your repair.And in no way will the connector come unplugged or loose in anyway. Trust me I have done hundred's of these. And this way you can turn the key on and off as many time's as you please without ever setting off the srs light. And as you now know you will alway'sneed to turn the key on and it is alway's easier to forget to plug it back in before you do.Then it's to late. As far as the messy black stuff ( butal tape ) in the warm and hot season's just something you have to learn to deal with. Good Luck.

mooseheadm5

One more note,
    I don't let it actually hang by the wires. You certainly can damage the wires or connector that way. I use some kind of mechanics wire to hang it. Do make sure that you secure the gooey stuff, especially at the bottom. If you do not, your car will leak water into the passenger compartment.