Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Brake light malfunction

Discussion in 'F30 (2012-present)' started by Texas Shark, Jun 16, 2020.

Texas Shark

Rear passenger brake light not working. Malfunction triggered when going through a car wash. Bulb was good but replaced anyway, no luck. Could the taillight bulb carrier be shorted? Could it be a fuse, Does a Single fuse cover one brake light? The other rear lights all work without issue.

Texas Shark

Btw, car is a F34 328i GT

charlson89

Check the plug connection the tail light for a melted pin.
    Texas Shark likes this.

Texas Shark

Both male and female plug pins look good. No melting or discoloring.

charlson89

Does the light still not work or does it work sometimes? What is the last 7 of your vin?

Texas Shark

Passenger side rear brake light still not working at all. Driver side and center rear brake lights, no issues.
    Last 7 of vin: D558531

charlson89

Ok if all pins are good and the bulb is good, You can see if you can swap taillights side to side and see if the light starts working. (Not sure if the connector will allow this or not) Second is with the help of a friend check the power supply for the brake bulb on the connector of the tail light while the friend presses on the brake pedal. If you have voltage around 12 volts then something is wrong with the tail light. If you don’t have voltage will have to take a look at wiring from REM (rear electronics module) to the tail light. Let me know what you find.

Texas Shark

Thanks. I ended up changing both the brake light bulb and the turn signal bulb (very small bulb). For some reason, that did the trick. Lesson for me was - change all the bulbs in the unit...first.

charlson89

Glad to hear it is fixed!

andrewm

Raising this thread from the dead.

I have the exact same problem and car. Did you try swapping turn signal bulbs first or just buy a brand new bulb?