Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Dinan software Stage 1

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, Jul 27, 2008.

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

What do you guys/gals think of the Dinan stage 1 software upgrade. I was thinking of getting done at my BMW dealership for $299. I guess it takes off the governor and makes the shifting smoother in my 03 530. Any opinions on the subject?

catchuk guest

it should also make the throttle more responsive, you may want to look into the transmission software if you drive and auto.

phanley

Word on some other boards is that the Jim Contorfi Shark Injector is more agressive for the same price as Dinan. However, having exclusively Dinan components in the car adds to its value. If you have or are planning other Dinan mods then definately go Dinan for the chip.
    I currently have neither, but I will be buying the Contorfi as soon as I finish my summer maintenance. It's my carrot-on-a-stick.

BMWtoyz guest

I had a Conforti Chip in a 91 318is and it was fantastic. However in my 98 M roadster I have Dinan software, as well as a Dinan strut tower brace and Dinan suspension. I had tried the Conforti in the roadster and felt it was not as responsive as the Dinan.

That said I do not see a software package for an 05 530i on their website?

Autohaus guest

At this price, does it include just the part(s) and not labor? What would be the total price out the door?

Mine is a 2003 530. I don't know if they have it for 05?

I think it said half hour worth of labor. So, that's $299 for software, then maybe $80 for labor.

Jeron guest

Chips are far less beneficial than they were back in 91 on OBD-I when you could gain 10-25hp.

OP, you should expect very little improvement on the M54 engine.

BMWtoyz guest

I agree, I do not see anywhere in my statement that you quote where we conflict? However that said my point was that in an OBD-II, like the roadster and the M54 I feel that the Dinan has and or will have more improvement than the Conforti. Just my opinion.

Jeron guest

You commented how great it was in your 91 and I didnt want him to expect "great" in his much newer car. I realize you didnt say he would have the same results but it seemed like a logical conclusion to draw from your statement.

Your impression of the gains for S52 in your Roadster should be somewhat close to what he could expect for his M54.

BMWtoyz guest

Good point, you cleared up what I was trying to say, thanks!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it's only a 5hp and 6 lb-ft torque increase. Nothing to get overly excited about, but the Dinan Engine Software safely raises the rev-limit by 240 rpm, and the software also removes the top speed governor, and reprogramming of the ''drive by wire'' throttle system speeds up throttle response, dramatically reducing the delayed response to throttle inputs exhibited with the stock programming. Pretty kool for the price. Especially because I don't wanna spend a crazy amount of $ on air intake from dinan...oh yeah, and I have a 2003 bmw 530...which is an E39, wasn't sure if you thought I had an M54.

Autohaus guest

I have a simple E39 M54 525i with 184-185 hp stock. For about $3K from dinan, I could gain 10hp (as said through the website). Adding a supercharger (another $3K+ at least) would gain what another xx amount of hp? However, it does raise an eyebrow that dropping $3K will net only 10 hp on the low end M54. IMO, if you want a really fast BMW, get a BMW with a powerful engine (S38/S50/S52/S60/N54, etc...) and then add performance products (ie super/turbo charger, Dinan parts, etc...). I have heard that adding the $3K (with labor) Dinan kit on the low end M54 will be felt. About "removing the top speed governor", do people do this for track purposes (which I feel is the answer) or do people need to do 150mph+ on local highways?

az3579

The limiter-removal isn't really the main feature that people are interested in. You usually never get the chance to take it to top speed, either because it's illegal in your country, because of traffic, or just not having the guts to take it all the way.

Besides, the M54 in an E39 would have a hard time reaching 150 (if it's possible at all, stock) to begin with, even with the extra 10 hp. You might possibly be able to do it, but it will take you quite a while.

Jeron guest

There arent many tracks where a 125 or 135 governor will come into play.

Raising the redline is trackworthy. Even though there isnt much torque at redline it can save you a shift in certain situations.

People dont NEED to do 150 on local highways, but on rural ones it is sometimes fun.

Autohaus guest

E39 525i M54 0-150 (2 minutes, 45 seconds) :rolleyes:

az3579

Are you kidding me? That's YEARS! My brother's 540i did that in under a minute!
    When will you be able to afford 2 minutes 45 seconds on a US interstate to reach 150 before getting caught?

Autohaus guest

I was just being silly. If it could do 150 with mods, it wouldn't take that long.

Yeah, there is no way I'm dropping $3k on my BMW for upgrades. That's why I figure I'll just eat the $300-$400 for the Stage One for the xtra 5hp, smoother shifting and such. I gotta get rid of this car when my warranty expires anyway!!! Getting work done at the Stealership is depressing. I don't even wanna go there to get the stage one done, too bad they're the only ones in my area that are certified to do it....jerks.

phanley

Wouldn't the factor here be distance, not time? As in; you need x miles of travel to achieve a speed of 150mph. Over that distance you need to be able to avoid other cars, cops, deer, etc..