Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Cooling Sytem Work

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Touring525i4dawgs, Mar 10, 2020.

Touring525i4dawgs '02 525it M sport

So I'm looking to do the inevitable clooing system replacement. Can it be done in stages? If so recommended order of steps if need to be done over 2-3 sessions.

charlson89

Easiest just to do it all at once.

Thanks. Do you think it could be accomplished in one DIY with my local chapter? Is there a good video that might help out?

charlson89

Oh yah one session should be enough. Everything starts to overlap each other when doing the repair.

Hi there. Hope you are well. so I'm planning my cooling refresh. Do you think an upgrade to aluminum radiator and upgrade water pump are worthy upgrades?

Scott

If you're going to hang on to the car for a while, then yes.

If I had known we were going to put over 205,000 miles (so far) on our 1997 528i, I would have put in an aluminum radiator/overflow tank and a Stewart water pump a long, long time ago. And probably a SPAL fan as well.
    Touring525i4dawgs likes this.

Interesting fan unit. Much better?

Scott

I have the aluminum radiator/overflow tank,SPAL fan in my E36 M3 and it had pretty much eliminated the cooling system as a perpetual weak point. The fan is quiet, comes on when needed, is not a PITA to remove and reinstall like the factory fan, and there's no fan clutch to go bad.
    Touring525i4dawgs likes this.