Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Numbers for autocross

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wanderlustbob, May 7, 2009.

Wanderlustbob guest

Wow its been quiet around here so let me see if I can wake things up with more of my newbie type questions.

So I am all excited to be going to my first autox this month and when I visited one a month ago (but did not drive) I saw a guy had a box of all the numbers so no matter what number he had he could put it on his car. I looked online quite a while and did not find s box set similar. Everything seemed to be to buy just one specific number.

Does anyone know of a link to a good box set? Also what is best to put on your car to not impact the paint.

az3579

Or you could use the poor man's solution; automotive masking tape! Won't harm the paint and you could form whatever numbers you want. :D

mattm

Bimmerdan

Hey Bob, the easiest thing to do is just request a permanent number, that way it never changes from event to event and year to year. Then all you have to do is buy two sets of magnetic numbers (one for each side of the car) and slap them on the doors when you get to the event. As long as the doors and the back of the magnets are clean, there is absolutely zero impact to the paint.

CRKrieger

Similar to Dan's suggestion, only different:

You don't have to have all the numbers; just enough. Three magnetic digits will usually work, and you're almost golden if you include 6/9 as one of those. That gives you two possibilities for each one of them. When you go to an autocross, see what's available that you have and then request it. I used to carry 2, 3, and 4 in one font, 7, 7, and 6/9 in another, and 3, 5, and 6/9 in a third.

I managed to do most of my numbers on a budget by buying vinyl stick-on numbers when race shops closed them out and then applying them to the magnetic sheet I'd bought in bulk. My first set was the 2, 3, 4 set mentioned above bought some 20 years ago. I still use it.

Wanderlustbob guest

Hey Dan I found the place to make it permanent but since I had registered with that number it will not now let me make it permanent. I guess I will have to do so after the meet.

Bimmerdan

Exactly. It won't let you have it right now because it's currently "in use". As soon as the event is over, you should be able to go in and claim that number as your own.

Just to add to what CR mentioned...I actually went to a craft shop and bought a few sheets of the thin magnetic material and cut my own numbers. I have a permanent number for BMW CCA events but if I run with Porsche or SCCA, I have a few different numbers that allow me to make several combinations so I've always been able to find a registration number I could make.

dejongea

So are the permanent numbers really "permanent"? Will I need to renew it each year?
    • Staff

steven s

Suggest asking the organizer.

mattm

As Steven suggested, each club, even within BMWCCA regions the numbering structure could be different. That's true for SCCA, PCA, and other indie clubs. Some of it is tied to how they operate their timing & scoring systems, too.

mattm

And to update a source for getting/buying numbers, the guy I posted in 2009 is not longer doing it.
    But contact Mike Snyder at http://www.autoxgraphics.com/ As they say, he is da man. : ^) (see the pic).

Attached Files: