Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

135i Rear 3rd Brake Light Lens

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by rcrowell, Feb 15, 2020.

rcrowell

Hello all,
    I have a 2012 135i that I purchased in 2015 as a CPO, and the 3rd brake light lens is cracked around the edges. Is there a goodwill repair or recall for this?
    Thanks,
    Rich

charlson89

Good will repair is on case by case bases with your local dealer. There is a service bulletin for this issue where they have to modify the trunk where the light goes. No recall for this issue unfortunately.

rcrowell

Thanks Charlson89!
    I will be dropping it off at local dealer tomorrow for the blower motor recall, and see if they will offer the goodwill repair.

BMWCCA1

The service bulletin involves replacement springs to lessen tension on the lamp. Later cars, like yours, don't require the body modification since your light probably doesn't have the notch cut it in and your truck shouldn't have the tab. Regardless, there are multiple after-market replacements that work for even the older models without modifications and they fit and work perfectly for a fraction of the BMW OE price. I get may BMW parts at cost and still used an aftermarket part on my wife's '08 128i. I did use the "new" factory springs since at about $1 each I thought I'd splurge!