Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Replace OEM Bridgestone RFT on 2020 X-3 xdrive

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by joelberger1, Dec 3, 2019.

joelberger1

2020 X-3 came with 225/60R18 RFT would like to replace with Vred Quatrac Pro non RFT
    Issue is the Vred pro not avail in the 225/60R 18 size
    Can I replace all 4 tires with Vred 235/60R18?

BMW service said I risk damage to transfer case and said to follow the door post sticker

Should I play safe and order Michelin Cross Climate SUV which does come in 225/60R18?

More expensive and not quite as good

MGarrison

Welcome to the club & forums!

I use this for helping to compare differences - https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

I can't remember the exact percentage, but when changing wheel/tire setups, it's best to stay within a certain percentage of original overall diameter, I think like 3% either way. The above says the 235 is 1.7% taller, so the 2/3 of an inch taller is a pretty nominal difference. You'll be raising the center of gravity slightly but that won't be noticeable for street driving. With a tad more sidewall & non-rft,. steering responsiveness might be slightly less crisp but that's probably not noticeable in street driving either. Presumably the nominal tread-width increase should be no problem mounting the wider tires on your current stock wheels. BMW speedos typically show about 5mph higher than actual, so the taller tire would have speedo indicated closer to actual. Since all 4 are the same size now, I'm hard-pressed to think why there would be transfer case issues still sticking with all 4 the same, even if a slightly larger overall diameter. But, I'm not an expert on all these systems on modern bimmers here either. Our resident tech here, Charlson, will have a more-informed opinion for you when he gets a chance to chime in. Always best to do research & verify what you find others saying, especially when it comes to remote sources like whatever off the 'net.

charlson89

Yah that small step up shouldn’t be a issue as along as all 4 tires are the same.