Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Plugs vs Plugs & Coils

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by sbfreeman, Nov 26, 2019.

sbfreeman

It's time for new plugs. No mis-fires or error codes. Any thoughts on changing coils at the same time?
    Thanks,
    Scott
    • Staff

steven s

I have an M52 in my 1996 E36. Original coil packs. +260,000 miles.
    Personally, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

sbfreeman

Thank you Sir!
    • Staff

steven s

Just my opinion. :)
    It's just one of those things I would not consider a maintenance item.

MGarrison

May depend on the motor though - if yours is not a turbo, it may be less of an issue. I had a coil failing on mine by the end of O'fest in my E92 w/ N54 - Ben Thongsai commented the coils are in a very unfriendly locale in my motor, both labor-wise, and temps, subjecting them to premature failure (2013 335is, 50k). If yours is one of the turbo motors & you're paying for labor, maybe it's worth doing them all at once. Maybe that's true too for non-turbo N52's, etc. if their location has them placed making them subject to premature issues, although you'd think non-turbo shouldn't have temp-related issues like turbos would. If you're doing it yourself, then dollar costs of labor are less a factor, just more so time &/or potential repeated effort, and then if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it is perfectly sensible as long as you know you can tackle it yourself anytime needed.

charlson89

The coils in any of the e9x vehicles were prone to failure. It is any easy job though so it could also wait.