Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Looking for advice on buying a 635csi

Discussion in 'E24 (1977-1989)' started by Ericjump, Nov 9, 2019.

Ericjump

Long time 2002 owner (and BMWCCA Member) looking for advice on what to look for, and what to look out for when buying a 635. I'm in the market for a REALLY NICE one, any help will be appreciated, upstate South Carolina.
    Eric
    ericjump@aol.com

ewentzel

Hi, I purchased an '84 M635csi about 18 months ago. I fell in love with the car and it seemed to drive well for 35 years old. It also came with a 2 inch thick binder of repair receipts going back to it's importation, albeit with some gaps in the records. Also loved the color, agate green which is somewhat rare. Love is blind! Skipped a PPI. Wish I hadn't. Probably would still have bought it, but I could have negotiated a better price. The biggest issues have mostly been due to prior repairs not done correctly. These have included the clutch, the cooling system, A/C conversion from R12 to 134, and some bad wiring. I also needed to replace motor mounts, transmission mounts and a couple of broken pitman arms. After all that and a couple of big checks to my mechanic the car is up to what I thought I was buying. Anyway, I still love it. So this winter, I'm having the motor torn down and rebuilt. I want it to run like new.

Most old cars had many owners with different levels of maintenance and care. Many different hands have worked on them with varying levels of skill. Carfax is mostly useless. Get a thorough PPI for peace of mind.

Good luck!

8598m36

Hi Eric W., I was browsing the Web on agate green color and came across your post. Belated congratulations to your "new" purchase. Achatgrün metallic (177) is indeed rare. I have mine for about 10 years. As far as I know, your car is 1 of 4 in the United States. Below is my email address if you are interested in staying in touch.

Congrats again and take care,
    Tat
    tkau@bellsouth.net