Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

convertible top issues

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by woody99, Aug 19, 2019.

woody99

I removed the top, relocated the motor into the trunk and while it was out tested it and it worked fine, put everything back together and it goes down fine , but will not go up with the motor. Luckily with the motor in the trunk I can push the manual button with an Allen wrench, that also did not work with the original knob and cable . I read in the manual that you need to push the #1 knob in between the seat tops, and the top is supposed to pop up some. Nothing happens at all when I push this button. Is something wrong with the switch? Any help would be appreciated. thanks Woody

charlson89

Does the motor run when you push the up button or nothing at all?

woody99

yes the motor runs, but top does not go up

charlson89

Have you made sure the bypass cable is fully released. Its the red handle cable in the trunk located on the top. If this is pulled even slightly the pump will bypass and not activate the top.

woody99

yes it does not work I have stick a Allen wrench in it to get it to release.

charlson89

Are you talking about the locks on cowl panel? Do you have a photo of where you are putting the Allen?

woody99

The red handle that depresses the brass button on the top motor

woody99

Can the motor be changed on Convertible top without affecting the hydraulic fluid in the pump?

charlson89

The motor has the reservoir built in so you wont have to worry about fluid the new pump comes filled.