Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Tire and Wheel Protection Updated

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by brian7588, Aug 25, 2019.

brian7588

Who are you guys using for Tire and Wheel Protection these days? I just bought a 2019 M240 and I know what is coming with tires and wheels, especially since the GF will be driving it.

Thanks.

MGarrison

Are you talking some sort of insurance or damage coverage?

brian7588

MGarrison

Not something I've ever gotten either specifically & individually for wheels & tires, or added-on to standard car insurance - have never heard or even thought of specific insurance for wheel-damage coverage. So, afraid I can't be much help on sources there. Generally though have never suffered major or catastrophic rim damage either. For the more-recent runflat-era, to mitigate damage risk, I've tended to just buy a new set of 5 wheels (I prefer a square setup anyway with the same sizes at all 4 corners vs. BMW's common staggered setups - can rotate tires & wheels around that way & even out wear, plus it dials out some of the inherent understeer of their staggered setup), downsized to the smallest diameter that fits, lightest-weight, reasonably-priced wheel I can settle on that I also like the looks of. The E92 335is had 19's on it when I got it with pencil-thin sidewall rft's, so ditched those in favor of much lighter 17" Apex Arc-8's & Michelin non-rft A/S 3's. Those Michelins have a bead/rim protector lip molded into the tire, so as long as it's not some dumb stance fitment where the wheel's wider than the tire, the molded lip on a proper tire-wheel sizing helps protect the wheels from getting curbed, and, the altogether lighter unsprung wheel-tire weight allows the suspension to work better & more responsively, combined with just that much more sidewall, and, with a more compliant sidewall than runflats (all of which helps street ride quality as well), helps to minimize the likelihood of suffering a blowout, rim damage, or bent rim lips. But, I forego the runflat benefit with its ability to keep rolling at reduced speed (at least as long as the sidewall's intact, anyway), so, I tote along a scissor jack, BMW mini-spare, etc., which consumes some trunk space, although that's not much of an issue for my usage of that car - however, I also don't have any problem swapping out a flat if needed. Same route w/ the X1, went from 18's to 17's, ditched the runflats, and tote a spare. However, with a new car & new tires, presumably it would be preferable to live out the first 19-20k until the rears are done (assuming staggered) & then consider whether different wheel/tire options are in order.

As for insurance-type damage coverage, I wonder if something added to your existing policy, agreed-value or not, might be possible or better than something separate from any other place that might offer such coverage. Of course there's not much you can do about local road conditions, whatever they might be, although hopefully there's a chance you could persuade your gf not to drive your new car as if it were a Sherman tank! ;)

bccanuck59

In my humble opinion, do not buy BMW's tire wheel protection. I did when my 2017 M240 was new and it has not been worth a dime. I have several bent wheels now, have been through several blown runflat tires and the only time they will consider replacing the rim is if it won't hold air anymore. You can only imagine how bent the rim has to be before that happens.

I agree with MGarrison above. Don't buy the insurance, ditch the run flats (or preferably don't accept them on your new BMW in the first place) , and replace them with good quality (non-runflat) tires and a spare and Jack in the trunk.

logicalapex

I had Wheel & Tire Protection on my last car from MB. It was priced competitively enough and had coverage good enough to make me to "why not?" and it worked out for me, but it was such a unique situation that I skipped it on my BMW. My recommendation is you should do the same.

For my Mercedes the coverage was $800 for 5 years with no mileage limitation including unlimited claims for wheel refinishing from scrapes. It covered the OEM and any after market tires installed and it covered dealer or non-dealer replacements for claims. The only limitation was 2/32nds of tread (which isn't a limitation since that's legally bald!).

The OEM tires were Mercedes spec ContiProContact tires and they were too stiff for the poor quality roads in Philly so I had replaced 10 tires due to bubbles or blowouts within the span of a year. The whole problem went away when I finally gave in and swapped the tires for Extreme Contact DWS06 tires and I never had an issue again. I made out ahead on that plan easily. But it took a LOT of tire problems to put me ahead.

When I took delivery of my BMW they wanted $2300 for a non-BMW tire plan at the dealer. The dealer said they didn't sell BMW plans (odd if you ask me), but even the BMW plan had a $50 deductible and a steep price. They'll convince you it will protect you from a cracked rim which is extremely rare. The third party and BMW coverages were both far less expansive than the Mercedes one as well.

IMHO put the money in your savings account or investments and you'll come out better off. If you have space in your garage or basement pick up a pair of extra wheels and tires from a member selling them if you're at all worried. You'll still come out ahead!