Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Engine Fire Mechanic in Charlotte, NC

Discussion in 'BMW' started by 87325, Jul 16, 2019.

I have a 1987 BMW 325. I know it's old, but I really love my car. I've had it since '93. I had a small engine compartment fire, about the size of a basketball, that got put out in about 5 minutes. Probably a fuel leak. Of course, the insurance company says it's totaled, but I really want to fix and keep my car.
    The fire was right outside of the air intake manifold. It burned the wires from the spark plugs to the distributer and the wiring and hoses that come out of the air intake manifold. It also burned the hood insulation and damaged the coolant tank and the oil filter cap on the valve cover. On the outside of the hood there is an approximately 6" area where the paint has bubbled off and is down to bare metal.
    I'm not an expert, but I really think that it's fixable - the firemen did, too.
    I was hoping that someone could recommend a good, trustworthy mechanic or shop in Charlotte, NC that could fix it for me so I can keep my car. My regular mechanic said he wouldn't do car fire work.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really love my car.

MGarrison

They gave me the same one that you did. I was really hoping to find someone in Charlotte...