Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Gas cap key problems

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by Mike Self, Dec 8, 2007.

Mike Self guest

This is driving me nuts. I have the factory accessory 2002 locking gas cap--this is the polished stainless steel one with the round, diecast keyhole cover, as used on the roundies. I managed to lose my only spare key for the thing and I've been trying to find a replacement key blank for the thing. The US replacement blank is a Taylor 63G, Dominion and ILCO H62VG or Curtis BD2. I did find out that the later style cap (dull finish, diamond-shaped stainless steel keyhole cover) uses a different key.

I've tried all the lock shops in the Dayton area and struck out. They were readily available four or five years ago; now they've disappeared. NY1 out there have access to a long-time shop who might have the blanks in their shop?

TIA

Mike

272151 guest

I've tried to get a spare gas cap key here in Charlotte NC but no luck. I'm definitely interested if someone has a source. I've also tried to screw on the cap without locking it, but that doesn't seem to work.

Capt Canuck

Mike,

I have an old key shop here in Florida ... if those key blank codes are correct I'll swing by and see what they have. They were able to replace the keys for my 69 MG ... keep those fingers crossed.

Cheers

Geoff

Mike Self guest

I managed to find some ILCO blanks, but half the ones they sent are made incorrectly and won't fit my lock. I called ILCO (they're in Rocky Mount!) and they're supposed to be sending me some new key blanks. When they arrive I'll try 'em in my gas cap; if they work I'll post my success! And I should have some spare blanks...

cheers
    mike

fwardell

Great. Please put me in line for one blank. If you're headed to Vintage at the Vineyard, I could get it from you and pay then.

Ferman Wardell

Mike Self guest

Ferman
    Hopefully I'll have some useful key blanks by V in V and will bring 'em. This is all very puzzling--to have two batches of keys with the same number, made by the same company and have one batch fit perfectly and the other not at all...

I hope they send the properly machined blanks this time.

Mike

rjfischerjr

There may not be that many different keys..

My brother gave me his 1970 2002 last year but lost ALL of the keys while he was in the Army. I ordered a new locking gas cap off of ebay and the key that came with the new cap actually unlocked my old one! I ended up giving the new cap with the 2nd key (my original cap has a nicer finish) to a buddy in trade for a fuel pump.

I may have just gotten REALLY lucky, but if you have any local 02 friends, you may want to try their keys. I bought the new gas cap from socalmotorsport.com. It was item number 8047080803.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Richard

skyking96w

Gas Cap Key

Mike -- no post from you on this thread for awhile, so I am hoping your problem is resolved. If not, I might have some useful info when I get my "stuff" out of storage. I have the early style gas cap also, and over the years I have had a few duplicate keys made. Unfortunately, the key I have with me right now is the original, so I cannot give you a manufacturer and blank number. It might be several weeks before I get the flooring finished in my house and get my POD delivered.

kremington

Another cap missing keys

Hi Ray,

I noticed your post here. I too have an early style locking cap on my recently acquired tii. Naturally, since I'm the 3rd owner, the cap keys are MIA. Have got your POD yet? :)
    Please give me a shout - I'd be very interested in one of your duplicates too. Thanks!

Keith
    '74 Atlantik 2002tii

skyking96w

Gas cap key problem

Keith -- thanks for reminding me. I just found my keys a couple of days ago.

The blanks for my duplicates are Taylor Lock Co #63G. The head of each key does not look like the original--it is round and they are sort of triangular--but they work.

Ray

kremington

Hi Ray,

As long as it works, I'm happy. :) I'd like to get one from you if possible. Please shoot me an email. Thanks!

Keith
    keith.remingt@gmail.com

Mike Self guest

Key problem SOLVED!!!

Finally---I found a key blank that works. It's a "BU-2" made by Dominion Lock. If you can't find it at your local key shop, try your friendly local True Value Hardware store. Main problem there is that if they don't stock it, you'll have to order 10 key blanks.

However, given the demand for the things, you won't have any trouble finding 9 early gas cap owners to take the extras off your hands.

Cheers from OhiO, and see you at Ofest

Mike

mikkicren guest

Looking for locking gas cap for 2002 325i

Does anyone know where I can find a locking gas cap for my 2002 325i?

az3579

Yours should lock along with your doors... press the key to lock your doors and you should not be able to open your fuel filler cap.

o2bdrivin guest

I have a 1971 '02, and have consistently found that the little stand-alone key shops have always had classic BMW key blanks for everything... the ignition, trunk and gas cap keys. The kind of shops I'm talking about are the little huts, typically located in the middle of a mini-mall parking lot.

Hope this helps.