Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Expired sealant for mobility kit

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by gah111, Jul 8, 2019.

gah111

I have an '04 M3 and the sealant in my Mobility Kit has expired. Is this a big deal and is there an alternate place to get sealant other than the dealer? I am in hopes that the new one will expire in my trunk like the last one. I understand changing a tire, I'm leery of pumping slime into a flat and everything going as planned with the pump etc.

G.H.

MGarrison

There might be retailers besides dealers or BMW selling mobility kit sealant, but presumably it would be sourced from BMW. I don't know if there's anything special to the sealant formulation specific to BMW; you have to wonder if sealant isn't just sealant, regardless of manufacturer. The cynical view would be it's slime... it blows in... it gets spun around... it makes a mess... and hopefully it serves to seal a puncture to allow temporarily running long enough to get to a better resolution - how different can any of it all be? But, who knows, there's a lot of ways to chemically formulate things. Offhand, I'd guess the potential issue with old sealant is if it's possible for it to dry out in its container then it couldn't work as intended. If you replace it from a dealer, shoot for one that offers a 'CCA member discount.