Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2002 AC System

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by 2002man, Mar 7, 2008.

2002man guest

Does any one here know about a 1975 2002 A/C system? Its a Clardy air conditioning system with a Sankyo compressor. Can it use universal part or not? its getting closer to summer time and it is hot here in southern North Carolina. Some days I wish the 2002 had a new (2002 on) AC system with the hot country feature. BRRR, I flet its really cold. But I like my '76 '02 95% orignal, I am putting heated front seat in it while they are being redone.

tootal guest

I replaced the old compressor with a japanese one out of a junkyard. I had to modify the compressor bracket but it worked fine. The AC system doesn't care how you compress the gas as long as it's getting compressed! It's a lot quieter too.
    Good luck,
    tootal

tootal guest

I replaced my old one with a japanese one out of a junkyard. The AC system doesn't care how you compress the gas as long as it's getting compressed! It's quieter too.
    Good luck,
    tootal

hackmechanic

There are many issues here. Original 2002 systems used Freon (R12). You say the system isn't that cold. Do you know why? Do you know that it is because the compressor is weak, or because it is low on Freon? If so, it is because it is leaking, and the leak would first have to be found and fixed before replacing any component. If you know that it's the compressor that's weak, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to replace it with a modern compressor if that is actually the problem.

2002man guest

2002 Ac

My compresser is fine, but it doesn't hold a charge, I think the hoses are to worn out.