Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Condensation Water from Air Conditioner

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by jesimmons, Jul 25, 2008.

jesimmons guest

Where does it go? On my new '08 535i, I never see any water draining after running the A/C in hot humid DC weather. Even after a 15 mile drive home on the interstate, there's no water dripping on my garage floor after I pull in and park. My other car drains water profusely when the A/C has been running for a bit.

Would be hard to believe the drain hose(s) are clogged when the car only has 3K miles on it.

Just curious.

Thanks.

M3Driver guest

Being trapped by the belly pan underneath the car hence evaporating over time?

I dunno....

ExGMan

Perhaps you have the AC/climate control set for full internal air recirculation, and and no humid exterior air is being drawn into the car? On my 2007 E60 (pre-LCI), the recirculation control is set with for the "A" recirculation (bottom of three buttons on my car), and the system dumps water on the garage floor after every trip in the presently-hot & humid Boston area.

jesimmons guest

ExGman...

I run mine with the Recirc mode set to "A" as well. In the very humid DC area, I would expect to see water draining like you do. I may call the dealer service dept to see if I should bring it in for a check.

ExGMan

Please let us know what the dealer says. Running the AC every day should have produced something like a pint per day of condensate. It's gotta go somewhere. Strange situation in a very young car.

jesimmons guest

Update... The dealer mechanic says that the new 5 series have a full shield underneath the car to improve aerodynamics (I knew that)... and the water does drain from the evaporator down onto the top of the shield as opposed to dripping onto the ground directly. Unless the volume of water is quite large, it just evaporates off the upper side of the shield and may not be seen at all on the ground.

They say that unless I'm experiencing wet carpets or other signs of leakage in the car (I'm not), its working as designed.

In looking more closely at the underside shield panel, it seems somewhat porous, and as such probably absorbs the draining water and it just dries out through evaporation rather than dripping on the ground.

I would have probably designed it to route the drain hose through a small hole in the shield and let it drain directly to the ground.