Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

92 E36 325i DME relay chattering?

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by britishgent, Mar 31, 2019.

britishgent

I have just installed my 325i running engine , Harness, ECU into a 95 3i8ti.
    I an having trouble with the Power to ECU relay "chattering" when I try to start engine, and if it starts it runs rough (Relay still rapidly turning on and off).
    When checking the DME relay with the key switched there is no signal from the ECU to ground (Terminal 86).
    When I turn the ignition key to start there is a ground on terminal 86 but it is turning on and off rapidly (chattering).
    I cannot find the wire # for the supply from the ECU to the relay in any manual.
    I have changed ECU, Fuel pump, Power relay, and also checked grounding system all ok.
    Has anybody experienced the same problem and have a solution?

MGarrison

You may already have the ETM, but if you don't - http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/

If the '92 one perchance is for an E30, (I'd guess it's E36 but I didn't d-load it to check), then I guess you'd need the earliest year available for E36, which presumably would be '93 if it isn't '92.

Afraid I can't be of much specific help otherwise without doing what you can, perusing the ETM. Charlson, our resident tech, may have a suggestion though once he gets a chance to see your post.

Welcome to the club & forums, btw!

britishgent

Thanks for the reply,
    Engine / harness is from a 06-1992 (manufactured) 325i E36 sedan.
    I did not have a copy of the ETM, but will now study it to hopefully find the fault and solution.
    Thanks again.

MGarrison

charlson89

If you have no ground on pin 27 then the issue is with the DME. Also make sure all your grounds for the DME have a good ground continuity. As fast clicking relay is normally caused by poor grounds.