Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2005 330CiC xenon light

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by 460098, Feb 26, 2019.

I purchased a 2005 330 CiC sometime back at a dealer in Birmingham, Alabama. I was assured it hadn't been wrecked and I was shown a Car Facts that had no wrecks listed. I guess you have to report them to not have them listed. over time I've had a number of things that indicate it clearly had been wrecked.
    The front bumper was zip tied on among other things.
    I bought it used so I assume there is no recourse for me on that and other issues.
    I do have a question about the headlight, Xenon B1 BI AKL headlight. 63 12 7 165 951
    This is the second one I've had to replace, the reflector has come loose and it wont pass inspection in Pennsylvania. I gave it to my son and he's having trouble with all the damage that is being uncovered. I can only assume the car was a lease car and they repaired the damage and put it on the lot to sell. my question is, is there an on going problem with those headlight's being easily damaged due to bumpy roads or...

charlson89

I am unaware of any issues with these headlights coming apart. Which part on the vehicle is actually coming loose? If you bought if from a BMW dealer in the last two years there is a parts warranty on the part.

Thanks for the response. Not sure when I purchased the car without going back and looking it up. I gave our son the 3 and recently gave him the 5. it's certainly been over two years since I purchased the 330. this is the second headlight to go bad, one last year and the other side this year. doesn't seem possible but there you go. I am in Birmingham and the car will return home in a few weeks and I'll go over it to see what i can see. Not sure i can tell anything.
    Thanks.

charlson89

The e46 headlights can be repaired since the lens does come off. What I see with these is the plastic adjuster mounts break and are easily replaced. You will need a new seal for the headlight with those plastic parts.
    460098 likes this.

any place I can get a schematic of that, i hate to start digging around and mess up. those lens cost a ton...i'm sure you know. I have used Bavarian Auto for some small items...any suggestions.
    Thanks for the reply.

MGarrison

Finding diagrams offhand might be a bigger challenge, there appears to be plenty on youtube - lots of videos to watch to attempt to figure a 'best-practices' approach before digging into it -

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bmw e46 headlight lens replacement

The 1st on to come up by Bentley publishers I'd expect to be pretty good since they publish the most-comprehensive diy manuals - also the one by FCP euro, and the ones that specifically say how to replace/change/repair the E46 lens/cover, and the 'how-to' ones mentioning disassembly or complete disassembly (there's a longer 11-min 'part 1' vid that should have a 'part 2' followup)... lots to see there, some presumably will be more instructive than others.

Thanks, thats a lot of info. I will attach a photo of the rim just so you'll know what i'm talking about. i'm sure you already do...i'm old with old mechanical abilities but these are new to me. I tried to upload it but it continues to show an error. it's jsut the ring that goes around the light bulb. i could send it if i had your email or you can contact me at bwrasco@bellsouth.net
    thanks

MGarrison

file upload size is limited to 1mb - phone cameras these days easily take hi-resolution pix, which look great, but are large files and can also easily be way more than 1mb. No need to on my part though, just trying to relay resources that can be of some help - it's not something I've had to tackle myself, mine are old no-lens-cover era BMW's, and the newer ones I have that do have lens covers don't need attention yet. I would imagine the main thing is how to separate the lens cover from the rest of the body without damaging or cracking it, and properly re-sealing with a replacement seal so it's back to being waterproof. FYI, Bavarian Autosport closed last month and handed their remaining inventory over to ECS. I personally haven't had problems with ECS, but I hear stories time-to-time from people about delays receiving stuff. If you're getting dealer-only parts (ie, no less-expensive aftermarket alternatives}, you're better off to look up the part numbers on realoem.com and use your club member discount at dealers who will ship you parts and offer club discounts, unless you're near a dealer who does. There are lots of places out there who sell stuff, use google to look things up & comparison shop.

thank you again, i looked at the first UTube on removing the cover and it looks like it is doable. i'll look further into it. I'll also check out ECS and give it a shot. I sent a couple of messages to the local chapter...no response.
    i appreciate all the detailed info.
    thanks

charlson89

Simple job to do just take your time with the plastic clips that hold the lens in place.

Thanks, I'll call ECS and be sure that lens will fit my 3. I appreciate the help.