Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2014 428i XDRIVE front left noise

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by clt03bmwz4, Dec 9, 2018.

clt03bmwz4

Hi, need to troubleshoot fluttering, clunking (non metallic) sound coming from left front end at low speeds 10 -20 mph when going over bumps.
    11/17/17 @ 44,555 miles BMW dealer tech confirmed excessive play in upper strut mounts in LF and RF and replaced them (under warranty) slight noise improvement.
    3/18/18 @ 49,001 miles noise was back and BMW dealer tech inspected all belly pans and under body panels and found nothing wrong.
    7/18/18 @ 52,500 miles I saw grease on the garage floor. Took it to reputable BMW repair shop and they noticed leaking front control arm struts and bushings, they have been replaced and wheel alignment done.

Front Left Noise still around...Taking it back to the reputable BMW repair shop but wanted to get some ideas/suggestions from forum members. Thanks

MGarrison

Wish I knew something specific, I just don't have experience on your car - you might take a look at the parts diagrams on realoem.com for you car though. Generally, any parts linkage, joining, mounting, or part subject to movement could be suspect, so maybe seeing how it goes together can help you pinpoint it further. Input the last 7 of your vin there, or drill down through the selection options, helpful to know your production year/month, which I think should be on the door sticker. Then peruse the sections particularly on front suspension & steering.

clt03bmwz4

Thanks for the suggestions.

charlson89

I have found the strut to make similar noises when going over bumps and has play only when at normal resting height of the suspension. To check keeps the wheels straight and grab the top inner and outer side of the tire and with quite a bit of force push and pull. You will sometimes feel and movement which indicates the strut has to much play. Another thing to check is the sway bar end link for play.

clt03bmwz4

Took it to the non-dealer repair shop and when the care is on the lift and wheels are turned grinding noice come from the steering rack/gear or possibly CV half shaft. Will pursue with dealership since noise was present since before the factory warranty expired. Thanks.

charlson89

Let us know the outcome.