Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

ZHP flat spot

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by etay2002, Jul 23, 2008.

etay2002

My 2004 330i ZHP has a definite flat spot at just over 4000rpm. I've had this car since January of this year, it's got 72k miles on it. Have there been any software updates to address this?
    Thanks for any help.

bradley01 guest

Here's some info that I hope helps you:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=568209&highlight=4000rpm

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=541059&highlight=4000 rpm power

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=555570&highlight=power dip

Sounds like you have a couple of things that could solve your problem:

1. ECU update
    2. VANOS seal replacement

I would say do both! You are most likely gonna have to replace your VANOS seals soon anyway, so why not do it now! The ECU update seems to be the fix. If it doesn't fix the problem, have them do it again...only correctly! If that doesn't work, demand a new ECU like one of these guys had to do.

Good luck!

bradley01 guest

etay2002

Am I right in thinking the ECU update would be done at no cost to me but I would probably have to pay for a new VANOS unit? My car is out of warranty. If I have to pay for the VANOS I might try having a Dr. Vanos unit installed by an independant tech. The VANOS rattle is not very bad at this point.

tturedraider

Sorry to tell you, but the ECU update is not covered out of warranty or under the CPO warranty. :( The software update would have been covered under the regular warranty. You can try pushing the issue with your dealer, but the odds are against you. This has been a known issue for a long time. It's too bad whoever owned the car during the warranty period didn't get it taken care of. :(

330indy1

It strikes me as just... weird..... that the ZHP in particular has such issues.

just from aggressive cams and tweaked software for an extra 10 ponies?

what the hell! :confused:

I have an e46 (ZSP, not ZHP) and it has been flawless. I feel for the ZHP guys. Since the ZHP guys are likely CCA members (aka: enthusiasts) it would be interesting to tabulate how many owners have this issue...
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Shops with an Autologic can program it for you. Should be cheaper than the dealer.

106430 guest

Had the same problem. Dealer was unaware until I provided the BMW service bulletin date. Had ECM sent to BMWNA for reprogramming. Had to do it 2 times but now it is gone. Was covered by original warranty even though the actual repair was after warranty ran out as I had brought it in with the problem earlier.

283206 guest

I got the new software for free under the emissions warrenty (8/80). I had to show it to the SA in the warranty booklet.

gyoung

I found what you're talking about in the warranty booklet. I just bought a 2003 ZHP with 43k miles and I want to get the software update. Can you tell me exactly how you used the warranty booklet? Did you call the dealership or did you go there in person and talk to the service advisor? Is that the person to talk to? Not the service manager? What did you say exactly? Thanks.