Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New to the site

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by eightynine535, Dec 19, 2018.

eightynine535 guest

Hello all,

I’ve been an on again off again member but never posted in this site. My first experience with BMW was my late aunt’s ‘84 318i. Fell in love with it as a teen and was my goal to get one when I “grew up”
    But upon sitting in a client of my older cousin’s E34.... I was forever sold.

Finally got my chance to own one and was fortunate to hand it down to my son. Unfortunately it met it’s demise a few years ago. Now I own an E46 and am looking towards getting an E70 X5.

Currently researching these models to find the right one. Any tips from X5 owners would be greatly appreciated

Curtis.

MGarrison

I'd skip at least the early years of the ones with the twin-turbo V8's, maybe any of the turbo v8's, or the non-turbo V8's too - probably not a bad idea to skip the E70 diesels too, at least not without lots of research on any specific prospects and stacks of receipts on hand showing what's been fixed/replaced. If you want a less complex engine, then one w/ the N52, if you want some more power and don't mind the complexity of a turbo, then one w/ the N55 - looks like the '12-'13 N55's got a power boost - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X5_(E70)#Model_lineup - otherwise, the usual - the cleanest, lowest-mileage one you can find you like that's in your budget. A pre-purchase inspection by a dealer or indie shop is always a good idea!

charlson89

Welcome aboard! If your looking for a simple well running e70 stick to the n52 engine is the 3.0si. I have one and really enjoy it.

eightynine535 guest

Thanks for the replies.

I have pretty much narrowed down my search to 2011-2012 models wth 6cyl. ( always been a straight six fan)
    I don’t believe those years came as xDrive30...only the xDrive35i.
    Am I correct?
    Any reason to pick the 3.0 over the 3.5?

MGarrison

The 3.0 is the N52 Charlson mentions, the 3.5 is the turbo N55 - see the link in my reply above for basic differences