Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Front End Rattle X3 E83

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by 391075, Dec 13, 2018.

I have a persistent front end rattle that has proven impossible to solve. Multiple OEM front end components have been replaced - struts, axle assemblies, tie rod ends. There is no visible signs of anything loose including the under body shield and exhaust related parts. The rattle seems more pronounced over road bumps in cold temperatures. Some have suggested it may be related to the front stabilizer. Is it likely the stabilizer can rattle when there are no visible signs of play or wear to the supports, bushings, or rubber mountings ? Recommendations/diagnosis appreciated.

charlson89

Can you get a video of the noise? Does it sound like a creak?

Thanks for your reply.
    Tough to get a meaningful video. The rattle (not a creak) sounds like it's coming from the driver's side front. Possibly from something loose that rattles horizontally - metal on metal. Many eyes have looked under the car without a clear diagnosis. I'm thinking of replacing both sides of the front stabilizer supports. I figure I'll solve it eventually through process of elimination.

MGarrison

You say more pronounced over road bumps in cold temps - does it rattle all the time and worse in some instances, or only in certain circumstances, and if so, what? Any other correlations, such as when turning, which direction, accelerating, coasting, braking, straight line, small turns like lane changes, etc.? How does it differ with varying ambient temps or cold engine vs. warming engine vs. hot running engine? Have you perused the front end parts diagrams on realoem.com for any thoughts? Do X3's have those hydraulic suspension bushings? Although presumably there would be evidence of leakage if they do...

The rattle is constant at speeds in excess of 30MPH on bumpy roads. The rattle seems more pronounced during cold temperatures. There is no rattle going over a speed bump at low speeds or during aggressive turns to the left or right or when braking or accelerating. The car drives true and tight without the rattle on bump free highways regardless of the speed. I've ordered stabilizer rubber mounting bushings and stabilizer swing supports for both sides. Let's see where that takes me.

charlson89

Keep us posted if that helps.