Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Goodbye Helga

Discussion in 'Buy, Lease, Finance & Insurance' started by junior1954, Sep 23, 2018.

junior1954

I had Helga, a spotless 12000 mile '17 M240i X silver over black with a Dinan Elite tune and staggered summer tires, for 1 1/2 years when a young lady with her head up her cell phone made a right from the left lane into me while I was in her blind spot, $8500.00 damage, 100% her fault.

I had the car repaired and was in the process of negotiating a diminished value claim when I decided to treat Helga to an Amsoil oil change at a reputable local shop. Well, the shop pinched an "O" ring resulting in a sudden, catastrophic loss of oil- the red "no oil pressure" light came on and I pulled over to the shoulder and shut it off within 20 seconds, no valve clatter.

I had Helga towed to my BMW dealership and instructed the mechanic that since I just had the oil changed at a local independent shop to take pictures when they took it apart. Well, the dealer found metal shavings in the oil and they totaled my car. There was one engine in the world in Germany and it would have cost $30K to put it in. The adjuster told me it was my call, fix or total and I chose the latter last week.

I collected $3300.00 on the diminished value claim and an additional $42,000.00 on the total loss. I had an appraiser help me with the diminished value claim that pegged the loss of value at $5600.00, but honestly felt that I'd collected a more than fair total amount and I would be greedy if I went after more.

Gretchen, my '19 M240i X, an Estoril blue over black leather with black rims and grill and staggered summer tires, should arrive in 6 to 8 weeks-I'm jonesing already!

Goodbye, Helga. Man, I never had a better car.

MGarrison

eek, sorry to hear all that! Sounds like you're ok though which is the main thing... hope the replacement exceeds all expectations!

charlson89

What a bad run of luck! Not the way I like to hear about getting a new one but congrats!