Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Maybe selling my baby (2011 manual 135i M-sport)

Discussion in 'E81/E82/E87/E88 (2004-present)' started by gutterchurl, Aug 18, 2018.

gutterchurl

Hello all - I'm thinking of selling my 2011 135i but not sure of how to price it or whether it's better to hang on to it for now. It's been garaged the last couple years, driven periodically and on a battery minder. Any advice is welcome - it's paid off, but we could use the money for needed house renovations.
    Mileage - 58,896
    6 speed manual
    M-sport package
    Dinan exhaust
    215/40ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL, 245/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL performance tires
    Second full set of wheels and tires - Blizzak snow tires (but only driven in snow a few times)
    New battery, all maintenance records

MGarrison

Virtually all cars are depreciating assets - if you're thinking holding on to it means you could sell it for more in the future than now, my guess is that's unlikely. As for pricing, use nadaguides.com & kbb.com, and peruse websites for comparables - ebay, autotrader, cars.com, etc. Generally, enthusiasts and 'CCA members are going to appreciate what you have; the general market, manuals are a negative since so few know how to drive one anymore.

A lot of people wax on nostalgically about how they wish they'd never sold this or that of their past cars and kept it forever; such nostalgic moments also don't bring to mind all the aspects of keeping a car around - service, maintenance, storage, insurance, driving and keeping it roadworthy, etc. It's certainly less stressful and expensive to just say you wish you'd never sold blah-blah-blah than actually keeping blah-blah-blah. However, joy of something is an intangible beyond its cost of ownership, so that can be a factor too. You may have to decide what that means to you in weighing keeping vs. selling.

charlson89

Like mentioned above any time you hold onto a vehicle it will keep loosing value. So best to sell sooner than later. Only time I have ever seen a vehicle start appreciating when they are rare or 1 of a kind options. Use Kelley blue book and NADA guides since they will compare to others in your area to see what the best price is depending on your location.