Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Adaptive Headlight Error 9CC0 Communication with Step Motor Controller Disrupted

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by sbfreeman, Aug 8, 2018.

sbfreeman

Hi
    My 2008 328i Sport Wagon is generating an OBD error code:
    9CC0 Communication with Step Motor Controller on the Right Disrupted
    for both the Footwell Module and Footwell Module2.

Assuming I can get the headlight assembly sealed again, will replacing the control module in the headlight resolve this error? Will the wheel well liner need to be removed to get access? I believe that this problem was caused by water getting into the headlight assembly.
    Thanks in advance for any responses.
    Scott

charlson89

Yes water in the headlight does cause this error. Since the stepper motor controller sits at the lowest point on the head light. Yes you will have to remove the fender liner and removed the controller and check for pins being corroded. If they can be saved spray some contact cleaner on them and dry the headlight out. The new controller does have to be programmed through the FRM module.

sbfreeman

Thanks for the reply. What will I need to program the new controller through the FRM module? I have been using the AutoEnginuity ScanTool to read codes.
    scott

charlson89

Yes coding the frm will program the smc

sbfreeman

So sorry to ask again, but the diy phase is new to me. What do I need code the frm?
    s

charlson89

No problem you will need software downloaded on a laptop and a interface tool. There are many different software options to do this. I have attached a link/ rabbit hole for different ones. The biggest question is how much you want to spend and what you want it to do (besides code the FRM).

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

sbfreeman

Wow, rabbit hole is right. That link is outside of the BMWCCA forum and a the first sticky says they are no longer allowed to post links about software. There was no clear list of software in the first 90 minutes of reading by the way.

It looks like I am on the steep part of the learning curve. What is a good way for me to identify all the options that are on my vehicle? It seems as though there are different headlights available for my model and year. As a starting place, I am assuming my 2008 228i Sport Wagon is an E91.

Thanks for sticking with me as I try to get off the ground here.
    s

MGarrison

charlson89

Yes just use a vin check site and that will give you a option code break down. Yes you do have a E91. If you don't feel up to going into the programming world you can always take it to a shop to have this done after installing all the components yourself to save money.