Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Coolant Level

Discussion in 'E32 (1988-1994)' started by JThomas, Aug 13, 2018.

JThomas

I have a '94 740i, that about a month ago, while on a BMW cruise, I could smell an odor of antifreeze. By the end of the drive, I got the "Coolant Level, Check Owner's Manual" warning when I shut the car off. I added coolant and took the car to the dealer. The dealer replaced the upper radiator hose. I got the car back, drove it for about thirty miles, and got the "Coolant Level, Check Owner's Manual" again when I turned the car off. I added approximately 6-8oz. of coolant. Drove the car to work today, 75 miles, and got the signal once again when I turned the car off. Check the coolant level and it was full. My initial thought was maybe the dealer did not fill the system after they replaced the hose, but have these cars been known for having errant codes such as this appearing or do you think something else is failing in the system? I have no signs of fluid leaking anywhere under the car, and I can't locate any hose that is leaking or wet. I drove the car today (8/14) and so far no warnings, and the temperature remains steady.

charlson89

I would pull the plug on the coolant reservoir level sensor and see if the terminals are coolant corroded or leaking. If they are the sensor would need to be replaced.

JThomas

I have continued to drive the car and checked for leaks, with none being noted. No more errant cooling level warnings. Thanks for the response.