Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E38 service engine light

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by gottgolf, Jul 19, 2008.

gottgolf guest

I've got a 2001 740i sport that is haunted by the check engine light. After checking the codes, the repair necessary was the replacement of the Bank 1 cam shaft sensor. But, after replacing the sensor and two start up cycles, the service engine light re-appeared. After another scan, it once again indicated that I replace the cam shaft sensor. Can anyone help? WHat can I do to make that warning light disappear? Thanks R

gottgolf guest

E 38 "service engine light

I've got a 2001 740i sport that is haunted by the check engine light. After checking the codes, the repair necessary was the replacement of the Bank 1 cam shaft sensor. But, after replacing the sensor and two start up cycles, the service engine light re-appeared. After another scan, it once again indicated that I replace the cam shaft sensor. Can anyone help? WHat can I do to make that warning light disappear? Thanks R[/QUOTE]
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You know bank 1 is the passenger's side, right?

gottgolf guest

E 38 survice engine soon indicator

Yes I am aware that its band 1. At first the code read 0011, which is the Vanos system. The dealer told me it was a cam sensor. After changing the sensor, the code reaod 0334 which is the cam sensor. Any advice? Thanks
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You left out some important details. See, it would have been good to know that the original code was for VANOS. This is usually caused by long intervals between oil changes gumming up the system. Changing the cam sensor when there was a VANOS code was not the best course of action. Next, you now say the dealer did this, despite this being in the DIY forum. Was this the BMW dealer, or just a car dealer in general. I ask for 2 reasons. One is that the dealer does not give OBD2 codes. Their system gives BMW codes. Next, if it was not the BMW dealer, chances are very very good that they got a Chinese made cam sensor, which was DOA. We make sure only to use OE BMW sensors ordered from BMW NA through our suppliers because we have seen aftermarket cam position sensors fail more than a couple of times either instantly or after a short time, as well as hearing the same from other independent BMW shops around the country.

gottgolf guest

Just to be clear, prior to doing any repairs, thru the OBD my scanner picked up the VANOS code. I was a bit concerned so I took it to the dealer, whose diagnosis was the cam sensor. So I replaced the cam sensor with a BMW OE part, #12 14 7 539 166, purchased at the dealer. Then, as the service light came back on after two cycles, the OBD read the cam sensor code. [First the VANOS code, then after installation of the cam sensor, the cam sensor code.] I even switched the cam sensors from Bank 1 and 2 to make sure that the sensor wasn't bad. And they aren't. When I switched the sensors, the Bank 1 still was diagnosed as having a bad sensor.

I thinking its an electrical connection somewhere in the feed to the DME. Any idea?

I also have an additional problem, the alternator light came on. As a result, I checked and the alternator/generator was not pumping out any power. I checked the battery and connections. I needed a new alternator. So I replaced the water cooled alternator. BUT, the light will not turn off. It's lit on the dash board. Any idea as to how to get the light to turn off.

michaelbird

The light isn't going off until you fix the problem. Me personally, I use the Peake code reader, so I can't relate to what your ODBII codes are telling you. I think Peake gives you a bit more BMW specific codes than the generic OBDII reader. YMMV.

In my own personal experience with VANOS codes, I replaced the CPS only to have the CEL return until I replaced the VANOS solenoid. Slightly more difficult and much more expensive, it did fix my problem, although it was on an S62.

Best of luck,

Michael