Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2004 745Li engine cooling question

Discussion in 'E65/E66 (2002-2008)' started by rerubin, Jul 19, 2008.

rerubin guest

Does anyone know if the 745i has a thermostatically controlled cooling fan that should stay on based on engine temperature after the ignition is off?

No matter how hot it is, I never hear it when I turn off the car.

dmason2002

the fan has that ability, but I've never heard one run like that, even after extended idling in the shop

rerubin guest

Thanks

Thanks for your input. I may have the dealer check it out. It is still under its CPO warranty.

I am really happy with this car...only a few very minor issues that were fixed in the first month or so after I got it. Now that I have mastered the iDrive I really like it, too. Also, for a large car the gas mileage is not bad --- average about 19 city/highway mix. It does almost 25 mpg on the highway. BMW upped the output of the engine in their 2005-2006 update to the 7 Series, but you lose about 1 mpg. 325 HP is plenty for me.

One thing I wonder about is if you really need to use the "Top Tier" gas brands. I have been using Sinclair premium and throw a bottle of Techron into the fuel tank every few months. No noticeable difference so far.

dmason2002

I use top tier in my own car, I wouldn't cheap out on gas these days. If you have a driveability issue, the diagnosis will likely include a fuel analysis which the dealer can do, if there is more than 10% alcohol, you will be responsible for the cost of diagnosis, and the tech may ignore faults that are caused by a faulty component. I have seen 18% alcohol in a sample, believe me, an otherwise healthy N62 or N52 can run like crap with that fuel, an injector cleaning and fresh fuel make a huge difference but they are not warrantable repairs.
    If you have them check the fan, make sure they can duplicate your complaint.

rerubin guest

Thanks for the advice

I'm going to switch back to top tier. Sounds like it is not worth it to buy the cheaper stuff.

Appreciate your advice.