Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Installing Sirius Satellite Radio in a 2009 Z4, with S693 option

Discussion in 'E89 Z4 (2009-present)' started by surfwooder, Jun 20, 2018.

surfwooder

I bought a 2009 Z4, in April. After delivery, I found the car only had (S693) preparation for Sirius Satellite radio. This means the actual receiver is not installed, but the car is supposed to be wired for the radio receiver, antenna, and possibly the head unit. I checked with a installer near my home in Bow, NH, and they know nothing about installing this radio in a Z4, and could not find any documentation on the install. I did acquire a radio from a used parts house. The radio is supposed to mounted in the trunk. I looked where the battery is located, and could not find any location for the mount, nor vacant plugs. I don't want to start tearing out lining in the trunk since I don't have a clue where to start. Also, I cannot find a Bentley, Chiltons, nor Hayes manual for the 2009 Z4. I also think the radio head unit may need to be replaced too, it is BMW Professional (663), with HiFi System Professional DSP (S677). So, any help with this situation will be appreciated.

MGarrison

Charlson, any suggestions?

No experience w/ your car to help - there are some Z-specific groups out there though, maybe try those too.

surfwooder

I took a look at Zforum, and found the radio is mounted under the left side storage well.

charlson89

I will look for the BMW install PDF for the Z4. I believe the radio needs coding for it work and the sat module needs to be wired into the most bus loop.

surfwooder

I took the next step, and took apart the left side of the trunk, and removed the panels, and storage tray. I found both plugs tucked up into a wire bundle. I checked the plugs, and plugged them both into the module. It was a perfect fit. I did find that once the module was plugged and arranged in the area which is below the storage cubby hole, the storage tray was just to deep to make the module fit under it. So, the tray will have to be cut down about a inch. Then all the panels will be re-installed, and I'll check how the top fits into the trunk. I'm expecting no problems there. Now, I am wondering if the system is plugged into the head unit. I still have no satellite radio icon in the radio option list. I'm thinking the car has to be re-programmed by the dealer or other company. I'll keep people posted.