Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2000 528iT Unable to Unlock

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by vietrice4ever, Jun 12, 2018.

vietrice4ever

Hi,

I have a 2000 528iT for a while. Last couple days I parked my car without moving, this morning I came out to unlock with key remote but no respond what so ever. I also tried to use key inside door lock clockwise and counter clockwise got no respond either.

Anyone here may know the problem please help.

Thanks you

MGarrison

Without googling to confirm or doublecheck, my recollection on door locks for older BMW's (which may or may not work for yours) is to hold the door handle up while turning the key. There's probably a youtube vid or diy on the other BMW forums, if not something or a link already here somewhere, on how to manually open/unlock E39 doors. No idea on the root cause though - only thing that comes to mind is completely dead battery maybe.

charlson89

It sounds like the car has lost power, dead battery most likely. The key tumbler should mechanically unlock the car in the event the car has no power. Have your tried the trunk to see if that works.

vietrice4ever

Thank you all for the input. I found the problem for it. I end up opened the kidney grills then pop the hood open. I used jump cable and able to unlock the car with the key remote. Battery completely out. The strange thing was I can't manually open the door with my key when the battery dead.
    FYI, there's only driver door has key opener.

charlson89

Sorry didn't read all the way that you have a touring so yes no key slot on the trunk. Glad to hear you got the car working.

dlee

you can unlock the door manually by turning the key past the first resistance point to the horizontal position. the normal position only activates the electronic portion of the locks which won't work if the battery is dead you have to go past that point. FYI for anyone with a dead battery.