Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Rear Window Protector

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by OldSid, Jul 17, 2008.

OldSid guest

I acquired a '98 Z3 earlier this summer with only 12700 miles on it, so it is in very good shape. It came with a full cover for winter storage, and also a rear window protector in a vinyl pouch. I'm not sure how to use it so haven't yet. It has two cloth tabs on it and I'm thinking maybe you tie those to one of the cross bars under the top before lowering the top. My question is, does anyone use these and does it really do any good. And am I correct in how I think it is put to use. The rear window is still pretty clear, but does have a mark across the middle where it gets folded.

lcjhnsn

The "window blanket" is intended to prevent the crease mark across the vinyl window where it folds. I use the blanket religiously after replacing my window last year ad I think it is helping prevent creasing the window.

The plastic hooks at the end of the elastic straps hook onto the steel tubes that support the top. I have an M with a headliner in the canvas top and the tabs hook onto round tubing between the outer top and the inner headliner.

J B Lansing guest

OldSid guest

Thanks, Lance and J.B. Mine has the two straps but doesn't have hooks, but should work anyway. Guess I should start using it. The window already has the beginnings of a pretty noticable mark where it folds.