Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2013 X5 - New Engine Requird at 75,000

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by jimbuik, Mar 21, 2016.

jimbuik

My 2013, yes 3 years young, with 75,000 miles, yes 25k out of warranty has a lower engine noise and metal in the oil filter. My dealer, BMW of Westmont IL, told me originally BMW wanted me to pay $9,600 of the $23,000 repair because they checked my records and found all service was performed on time so this catastrophic engine failure was "no fault of my own". $9,600 for no fault of my own sounded unfair so I objected and after several days, the offer was reduced to $5,600. I don't think I should pay a dime for the manufacturers admitted failure.

The system is rigged so the consumer can't talk to anyone beyond an 800 number, but I want to discuss brand integrity with an E level employee at BMW North America before I tear into social media or contact The Voss Law Firm.

Ken.S.330

Try contacting the Club Ombudsman. There is a link on the CCA site, Benefits, Club Services, Ombudsman.

MGarrison

Ugh, sorry anytime to hear of engine failure. Before hitting the lawyers, you might try the club's ombudsmen & see if you can make any progress via that route.

timpaine01

I have a 2013 X-3 with 72,000 miles with similiar problems (metal in oil, crushed oil filter and engine seizure). Its out of warranty. There was no clue of the imminent failure ( no oil light, no knocking)-
    any thoughts anyone has would be appreciated. I just gave my oil change records to the dealer.

MGarrison

I'd say start with some googling searches on your engine to try and get a sense of whether others are experiencing anything similar. Maybe some more general searches also like '2013 BMW X3 engine failure' plus searching your engine code. If you don't happen to know it offhand, put the last 7 of your vin into bimmer.work, engine likely is something like N20, N55, N52, or something like that, and then google "BMW Nxx engine failure" & check out what comes up. See what your dealer says, &/or BMW, and try the club ombudsmen as a resource as already suggested above. Crushed oil filter sounds kinda odd, if it wasn't hit & externally damaged, it presumably would have to be under some sort of extreme vacuum to be collapsed/crushed? If the cause of the engine failure is found out, please relay it so others may be advised. Yikes!

charlson89

Which engine do you have? If the filter was collapsed either two things could have happened a cheap aftermarket filter or it was clogged.