Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E83 Oil Leak Blues

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by 379884, Apr 30, 2018.

'08 3.0si w/103,000 happy miles has just developed mild oil drip. Inspection of the infamous valve cover and oil filter housing gaskets is unremarkable with no signs of oil moisture in the vicinity. Underside inspection suggests the passenger side differential/axle shaft outlet area AND the bell housing. Somebody help! See the attached photos and I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/Marblehead66/library/?view=recent&page=1

[IMG]

charlson89

From the photos looks like the oil pan gasket is leaking. Common leak on the N52 engine. No danger to the engine as long as you keep oil in the vehicle filled up

Oh, I was hoping this wasn't the case! Hate oil leaks of any kind/source and know this is a near impossible repair, based upon labor cost, either mine or a shop. Like you, it is probably the best explanation having ruled out the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket. Dark prognosis but I'm grateful for your taking the time and trouble of expressing your opinion!

Maybe I'll install a diaper atop the inside of the skid plate!!! I'm about ready for one of those myself!!!undefined

charlson89

Just wrap the bottom of the engine in pig Matt it will absorb the oil and quite the engine some.;)

Reprise: So, I just came in from installing the Pig Mat Diaper atop the skid plate, hoping the exhaust doesn't someday light it all up. Further inspection of the two areas of engine oil leakage strongly suggest to me that the rear crankshaft seal is leaking as well as the passenger side transaxle flange! Haven't read anything about leakage in these areas! Of course, I cannot see the rear crankshaft but the drip at the bottom of the bell housing shows no possible leakage anywhere else. And the passenger side transaxle flange clearly shows leakage around some kind of factory RTV sealant between the two mating services.
    Been a BMW lover all my driving life and never expected such failures like this at 102K miles. . .Very disappointing.
    I'll find solace in my Sienna Brown '74 tii and my GS1150R!

MGarrison

BMW's are so radically different from the design and manufacturing of the 2002 era, plus the cars are sooooooooo much more complicated... the days of relatively straightforward fixes to get to 200k or higher - long gone, I'm afraid (not that 2002's didn't have their own issues... they were different, although I suspect in many instances, required less nuisance-fixing). Heck, the weak subframe issue that surfaced when they went to cad/cam design for the E36's & in ever-so-many-more of E46's didn't get fixed until the E90, two generations after the problem became evident!

charlson89

The oil pan gasket leaking can look like a rear main since the oil pan goes up into the bell housing. When you do the oil pan you can reseal the axle extension with a new o ring and etc if needed.