Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

HPDE Vintage Run Group

Discussion in 'Oktoberfest 2018' started by Hallatauer, Mar 30, 2018.

Hallatauer Can't Drive 55

Saw that there will be a "vintage run group" at the HPDE. Any specifics as far as what is considered vintage, speed limitations, etc to run vintage group?

I'm driving my E39 M5 which I don't track anymore... have an E36 for that, but would like to have some fun at a less than 90-100% speed.

Thanks, Dan
    • Staff

steven s

Vintage would be 2002s, E9 Coupes, 1600, etc.

Hallatauer Can't Drive 55

Guess I'll pass on that, thanks Steve.
    • Staff

steven s

The idea is so these cars don't have to spend each lap waving cars by. There are other rungroups available.

91e34m5

I'm a little late to this thread but I'd like to add some input. I ran in the vintage run group in NJ, (91 M5), and there weren't a lot of cars in the group..maybe 15. Unfortunately, there were novices as well as advanced drivers all running together. As you can imagine, this was not a good mix. Since this was the first time for a vintage run group, I don't think the lead instructor, as well as the individual instructors were prepared for the mix of novices and advanced in the same group. I would offer that this be discussed beforehand with the lead instructors, individual instructors, and students prior to going on the track. This was not an enjoyable track day for me.
    • Staff

steven s

Personally I wouldn't have had an M5 in a 'vintage' rungroup. For this year the intent was for basically stock 2002s to run together without the fear of being run over. It is a moot point anyway since there are only 4 who selected the vintage run group.