Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2012 X3 F25 transmission slipping

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Fishguy, Mar 19, 2018.

Fishguy

My 2012 X3 F25 8 speed automatic transmission is slipping in lower gears mostly when cold. Will a fluid and filter/pan change help?

charlson89

First need to check for any leaks on the transmission. Also I have ran into a engine misfire that can be mistaken as a transmission slip, need to make sure that isn't happening. If the transmission isn't leaking, I doubt a fluid change will help. If the trans is slipping there is a internal issue (most likely a clutch pack). Another thing to check is the transfer case this can also cause a transmission slip feeling. If you unplug the transfer case motor and the slip is gone then the transfer case is most likely the issue.
    Fishguy likes this.

Fishguy

Rats. Guess ill have to take it in to a mechanic as I don't know where the electric motor for the transfer case is. Wouldn't a misfire show up as an engine fault?

MGarrison

Peruse the parts diagrams @ realoem.com, might help with locating it -

charlson89

Not always in my experience does it trip a fault. You think it would though.

Fishguy

OK thanks, I shall endeavor to persevere.

Fishguy

BTW, how do I tell the computer I've performed a service?

charlson89

You need Bmw software that can talk to the egs module and reset the oil service counter and transmission adaptations.

Fishguy

You're good, it was a bad coil. Couldn't get the computer to declare a fault code so I replaced them all and PRESTO all is well.

Fishguy

Thanks for that realoem tip. I've used it several times already.
    MGarrison likes this.