Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Methanol Injection for e92 M3?

Discussion in 'E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008-2013)' started by Vikas76arya, Mar 17, 2018.

Vikas76arya

Hello everyone,

I own a 2012 e92 M3 and have been exploring options for coaxing more power out of the S65 power plant. I've looked into Super chargers but am not ready to make that investment just yet, possibly down the road.

Realizing that heat management is a key consideration when tracking the high compression, small block V8, I am exploring Methanol injection and wanted to ask your opinions about which kit is best suited for my car and what other modifications I should consider at the same time such as headers, Intercooler, Oil Pan, etc. If I do this, then I want to do it right so understanding the total cost is going to be important.

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Vikas Arya

charlson89

Methanol injection without forced induction may not be the best route to go first. I recommend starting with headers and free flow exhaust and good engine tune, cold air intake. This will get some good HP gains without doing forced induction. It really depends on your end goal of how much HP you would like to make and what kind of budget your willing to spend. You can make any car fast with enough money!

Vikas76arya

Hi Charlson89,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You are right that with an endless supply of money, I could do just about anything that I wanted, haha! I've done quite a bit of modifications to my car; Big Brake Kit, Coilovers, Test Pipes (primary cat delete), Exhaust, ECU Tune and Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake. My next mod is going to be upgraded Bearings because it would really suck if after spending all of this money on cool things, a core component of my engine fails, effectively flushing my investments down the drain. I think that headers will be a good modification, adding a little more power but really making that V8 sound sweeter than it does already. When I started looking into modifying my engine, my goal was to generate as much power as possible but as I read more about the S65 block, I realized that heat management is an issue for the e92, particularly the more track it sees. That lead to me to rethink my plans to super charge the engine and to start investigating the pros of e85 or Methanol. I think the best thing for me to do is maximize my seat time this year and seriously think about whether I want to invest $25-30K more in my car because that's what it will cost to modify my engine right with a SuperCharger, Methanol Kit and all of the ancillary mods that I'll need. Maybe that $30K is better spent towards a 911 Twin Turbo, one of my dream cars.

charlson89

Sounds well thought out to me!