Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Capability information

Discussion in 'E85/E86 Z4 M roadster/coupe (2006-2008)' started by UltraIron1, Jul 13, 2008.

UltraIron1 guest

I have a 2006 Z4M. Does anyone know of any literature or web publications regarding the maximum level of horsepower the inline six can handle from supercharging or turbo modification without needing to modify internal components? Any help on this question would be greatly appreciated.

EuroWerkz1

S54 Horsepower maximums

Well, the short answer is there is no limits, the long answer, well it's much longer and way more complicated.

The S54 engine regularly sees mid 400 to 500 horsepower reliably on the street with forced induction and 600-700 in a racing application with proper preparation using the stock internals, at least the stock rotating internals of crankshaft and rods.

But what you are asking I believe is what are the limits or horsepower. None, an engine is not a computer and there is no pre determined horsepower maximum for any engine. Horsepower is just a measure of RPM and Torque and if you can make it pump enough air and run at a high enough RPM there is no limit. But of course there are limits for a street engine based on octane of fuel, hardware availability etc. So I think what you are looking for is the 4-500 Horsepower practical limit. You most definitely do not want to be the one that finds the limit, I can tell you that for sure.

In the end...The Z4M Coupe doesn't need more power. What it needs and what it really responds to is a proper adjustable suspension system. Equal to about a 100 horsepower worth of handling improvement based on my calculations.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

"It doesn't need more power"?! Bite your tongue!

My Iowa pal Doug Wittkowski kind of side-steps the notion of power in the Z4 roadster, don't you think? Actually, I fell in love with a Z4 we can't have: the four-banger with just 150 really efficient horsepuppies. But I already lusted after the 3.0si. . . and of course now I have the S54-engined Geezermobile ("Regain your lost youth in a frenzy of absolute delinquency!").

If that's the engine you're looking to "improve," I can tell you that a certain Stephan J. Dinan has had remarkable results with the S3 M3; that supercharged car makes---um, well, it's a pantload of horsepower.

But like Doug, I think a better priority is improvements to handling. So does Stevie D; what I liked about his M3 BEFORE he supercharged it was that it handled like a slot car---softer than stock M3 suspension but also more tight and responsive. It felt to me more like an E36.

I know he's done suspension on Z4s, but I don't know how much of that works on the M model. The fact that Stevie D has a M roadster right now means he's still workin' on it. . . . But he probably already has all the supercharger stuff ready to go.

:D

SC

EuroWerkz1

Not direct enough says our captain of the written word., Okay...UltraIron1, I'm a Dinan dealer and we hope to see the Dinan Z4M SC kit soon, let me know and I'll give you the very special "First one to ask" special pricing.

The car is also just a bit too heavy to be a real track contender in it's present form. Not an issue, as for weight control a nice TC Kline suspension under that bad boy. Guess who is a TC Kline dealer too? Oh yes, now we are getting somewhere. In fact why play around lets combine the best of all three companies and I'll build you a EuroWerkz Track Weapon Z4M, 480 HP, Carbon fiber bodied, TC Kline coupe that will scare little children and the elderly in several surrounding counties and have every 911 GT, Turbo, Viper and Corvette Z06 wanna-be talking to themselves for weeks.

Are ya in? :cool:

PhillyNate

Hi Doug,
    I have a 2008 328i coupe 6 speed manual. Although I know the car is not as fast as a 335i obviously, IT IS FAST. What would be your recommendation/tweaks to squeeze just a tad more power out of it safely and most importantly not voiding my warranty.
    Thank you in advance.
    Nate

EuroWerkz1

PM has been sent

M3Driver guest

For EuroWerkz1 - Partial Thread Hi-Jack here....

While we are on the Dinan subject....:D

I have been thinking Dinan cams, intake, throttle bodies, and associated Dinan software for my M3 (see sig line) below for a while. Had a '01 Dinan 330Ci S3 before and am very familiar with Dinan and enjoyed driving it. The M3 is such a great car, I find it hesitant to mess with it too much, but a leetle more "go" is good....;) Forced induction, while nice, it a bit more than i want to spend.

Your thoughts on this combo? Seems like it would kick the hp and such up by about 30 or so and changes the torque band a bit so that power comes on a higher rpm?

Not that is that big of deal, but I have to ask..... how much (if any) would gas mileage suffer?

thanks.....

UltraIron1 guest

And all this wonderous power for the mere sum of???

EuroWerkz1

Power with control

No, not just power but power with control and balance. What is that saying? If you have to ask the price...:p

UltraIron1 guest

Only fools don't ask the price and, if that is your attitude, I wouldn't choose to do business with you anyway!!!

az3579

He doesn't have an attitude about it. That last statement was merely just an incomplete sentence he intentionally didn't finish to prevent advertising on the forums.

EuroWerkz1

Excuse the humor

Ultra,
    Just trying to inject some humor into the mix. Come on smile::eek:

Yes, this would be an extremely expensive package to build. And like the gentleman that had his Z8 fitted with a Dinan Rolex "ized" S62 V8 that was in the Roundel last year I'm sure it would be basically a money no object project. For most of us that sort of thing is just a dream car. Also...as a BMW CCA website tech guru I also don't think it is my proper place to give price quotes for products in this venue but would be more than glad to quote anything privately by e-mail.

Enjoy!

UltraIron1 guest

OK

Euro,
    Fair enough - didn't mean to get overly intense about it. By the way, would you have any familiarity or experience with ESS Tuning's products?