Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

My post will be added after review by a Moderator?!

Discussion in 'Member Feedback' started by sunnyandrich, Jul 12, 2008.

sunnyandrich

I posted a reply to a member in the detailing section adding a comment regarding a headlight polish kit.

I received a message indicating my post was going to be posted, after review by a Moderator?

Why is that?
    • Staff

steven s

Links seem to be put into moderation to prevent spamming.

sunnyandrich

Interesting choice of philosophy if true.

Not a good way to encourage referential posts in my view.

Will be interested in the response from the staff.

sunnyandrich

Does not appear to be the case. I posted a remark in another feedback thread and got the self-same message.

az3579

I just posted something a few minutes ago with a ton of links (pictures of my shadowlining job) and never received any such message.
    • Staff

steven s

I agree.
    All I can do is approve messages when I visit.

Maybe it has something to do with the number of posts a user has?

sunnyandrich

Hi Steven - Sorry did not see that you were on the staff.

If it is a business rule that a member who can post messages is a responsible paid up member of BMW CCA, it would not be too much of a stretch to believe that said member is capable of posting a message without moderation by the staff?

I mean, really?

This feature will be (in my view) a huge turn off to growth for the forums here; inasmuch as many many other phpbb based automotive forums do not enable this feature.

I wish the board the best of luck, but if in fact this is the usual modus operandi of the site, I believe in the main the net reaction will be quite negative for the person coming onto this community for the first time.

It certainly is for me. :)
    • Staff

steven s

And a member for +10 years. :)

I agree with all your points.
    CCA members should not have the same restrictions as non-members.
    All that is supposed to change. When? I don't know

BTW- I run two forums using this software.
    One is fairly busy. I monitor keywords from members with fewer than 7 posts.
    Generally most keywords are nokia, playstation, WOW, nike and other performance enhancing products, and I'm not talking about a CAI or a chip. :)
    Occasionally a new word slips in and is added to the list.
    That has been working fine for years.

sunnyandrich

Gotcha.

I support the club; I'm frankly elated to see that the Leadership has re-done the site to include this style of on-line discussion; phpbb is a popular and capable system that does require some tweaks as you go, for sure.

I'll be glad to stick around and help out where I can.

I'm a moderator on, um, another related board and I'm with you 100% on the need for spam control. :p
    • Staff

steven s

It's actually vBulletin, not phpBB.
    I mentioned an online board years ago.The forum on the old site was horrible.

I maintain
    http://forum.nccbmwcca.org and own http://www.318ti.org
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

You do the ti board? That one works very well. Have not been back lately, too much work to do.
    • Staff

steven s

Yep. My little corner of the world for the bastard stepchild of BMW NA.

CRKrieger

Time for a bump on this subject. I joined today and, of a handful of posts (~7 so far), two were apparently referred to a mod and the rest are posted and visible. Doesn't seem to be any rational reason for that. If you read my intro post in the New Member Forum (AFTER the mod approves it), you'll see that I, too, am a longstanding 'CCA member. Probably beating you both added together. So, what is the deal?

Edit: This one went unmoderated.
    • Staff

steven s

I don't know what the criteria is that sends posts to moderation then. :confused:

bcweir

May I make a suggestion?

We (BMWCCA members) are paying $40 a year or more for BMWCCA membership. Test this idea please.

Put us on the "honor" system, with a polite reminder not to spam or post inflammatory messages (write the warning in English, please don't have a lawyer do it: not interested in reading six paragraphs where three sentences will do.). Most of us will honor a polite request not to spam or flame. If somebody violates that, warn them or revoke their forum privileges. They can still keep their membership and get their Roundel in the mail, but forum rules can follow a very easy to understand philosophy: if you abuse it, you lose it.

The only complaint I have had with moderators moderating my threads is that it's been inconsistent. Some threads go through while others don't, with NO INPUT or COMMUNICATION to me why this is. I find that to be condescending that when my posts are blocked or deleted the moderators don't have to inform paying members why. If I'm old enough to be billed $40 a year, I'm old enough to be treated with a little respect.

az3579

I think this might be a flaw with the system and not your posts actually requiring moderation...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Moderating the immoderate

Yeah, if these sites moderated the posters, they'd never let me in!

:eek:

Jeff Gomon South Central Region Vice President

Who was on guard last night??

Looking around the Forums last evening I see that Satch was posting like a madman!!! It didn't matter what the subject...he was there. Given his history...why was he not flagged and moderated?? Somebody clearly left the back door open, he snuck in, deposited his nuggets of wisdom and let himself back out!!!! Horrifying!!!:eek: LOL...lol....

Just Kidding Satch.:D...glad to see you adding your $0.02 cents. You offer insight that some of us just don't have. The head shot is is great!:cool:
    Hope to see you again soon.

bcweir

Not going to slam one site or another but here is an example...

A certain well known site, to be referenced here only as RF (I think we all know who that is) will only allow links that are related to their paid sponsors! So if I wanted to help Joe Blow with his BMW by showing him a link to a non-sponsored web link or how-to page on getting his car up and running again, the link is automatically garbled! The mods there not only support this, but they actually jump in to make sure the link is sufficiently scrambled! The only way around it is to directly email the user with the information, denying everyone else the benefit of the help I just gave Joe Blow.

I watched an extraordinarily knowledgeable and helpful member literally get driven from the site as a result of this "money first priority, users take a back seat" policy.

I followed him to Bimmerboard.com three years ago and the difference between the two communities is like night and day. Many RF forums are practically dead and lifeless. Bimmerboard's is thriving and largely censorship-free!

I'm not plugging BB or trying to bash RF, but I am just demonstrating the difference between a well-thought-out moderation policy and one that's designed only to fatten a site's bank statement at the expense of their users.
    • Staff

steven s

Many sites are like that. I know of one site, let's call it www.318ti.org :D that refuses to accept sponsors just so they are not put into that position.