Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

New Memeber - probably old question

Discussion in 'E28 (1982-1988)' started by MSchmidt54, Jul 10, 2008.

MSchmidt54 guest

I bought a 1988 535 on the cheap. It had been in storage for three years and not ran. When I drive it I can't hep but smile. But I have one niggle little thing I am trying to decide if it is a problem or not.

When I back out of the drive to leave for work first thing in morning it seems to feel like the whole back end shifts or is loose. However, if I go really slow and at a shallow angel this does not happen. I have been told it might be subframe bushings. I have read on this and inspected them the best I can. They appear intact and in decent condtion.

Is there a way to know for sure if it is the bushing are not?

I would rather spend the money that this repair would cost on other items like struts and things.

bmwstepinstructor guest

I think you are going in the right direction. Suggest to schedule an appt with your local dealer to verify. With the age of the vehicle, I would not spend a lot of money on 'maybe this, maybe that'. You can save yourself the headache of not knowing even if it cost you a diagnostic fee.

MSchmidt54 guest

Thanks

I have set an appointment for August to have the local Dealer take a look at the Rear Suspension. The only other thing I could think of, if it is not the sub-frame bushing, is it possible for it to be BEaring are the axles in and way that would make it feel loose and sound like it is not bolted tight to the car?

alotawatts

alotawatts

What is the mileage ?
    Dealer charge for R&R subframe bushings will be pricey -
    Find an independent shop
    Bushing info here:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7aq8e/continued/
    Could be control arm bushings too.

wve28

Most likely the subframe bushings. Make sure your differential mounts are solid, though, as well. Definitely do a search on Mye28.com as there are loads of people that have "been there, done that." Some, probably 100 times. I don't know where you live, but there are a few on that board as well that have purchased the proper tools for the job and would help someone change out their bushings for not much more than a case of beer. Expect to pay upwards of a grand for a BMW dealer to do it.

MSchmidt54 guest

Bushings

Well I have already bought the bushings and ordered the differ mounts. I am hoping that cures it because it sounds expense once I am past those items.

FInally took some pics that turned out decent of where it is at now in the slow process. Hope to finally get it posted in the next couple days.

CRKrieger

As the two previous members suggested, you will be better off with E28-specific questions over in MyE28.com. Telling us your general location would help, because we have a pretty good network of very helpful folks all around the world. [You need help in Perth, W.A.? We got a guy.;)] Nobody knows these cars better than we do - including most dealer techs these days.

MSchmidt54 guest

Found now - now...

WellI found out what it was. My right rear subframe bushing has pretty much ceased to exist. Now I just need to find a tech that can do this that will do it on his own for a reasonable price. I have the parts now. The dealer wants a hourly rate no matter how long it take with a minimum of 550 as the starting point.

wve28

Well I'm glad you know what your problem is. You're still not listening to Mr. Krieger and I, though, if you haven't registered on MyE28, nor do we have a clue as to where you are located even if we wanted to offer some advice on where to go.

MSchmidt54 guest

I listen and have been a member

I joined that site within weeks of getting my E28. Had nothing but bad experiences on that sight. First thing I posted was critized and I was called a liar and a idiot by a very small section of members. I was told I should just get lost because I was apparently nothing more than a wannabee poser. The sad thing is I had many many e-mails saying ignore them, but not one person would actually state that in the forum in person. So I just do not post there are ask questions there, it is not worth it to me. Burn me once shame on you all burn me a second time shame on me for being so foolish.

wve28

Well I apologize for your experience, as I know there is a group of individuals on the forum who's internet manners are less than acceptable at times. You'll have that with an unmoderated forum, and just have to take it with a grain of salt. If you can get past those few, there is more genuine knowledge of the e28 there than any other place on the internet, guaranteed. I guess if you really don't want to tell us where you are, then good luck to you on your subframe bushings...........

MSchmidt54 guest

I am in..

Oh wow, I forgot that part. I am located in Kansas city Missouri.

Hey do you attach pictures?

CRKrieger

KCMO? We gotta have somebody there! But I do not remember who. ISTR those bushings aren't too hard to do on your own. Given the prices I'm seeing, you could easily buy all the tools, including a Sawzall (in extreme cases), to do it.
    Do you mean the avatar like I use or the sig picture that WVE28 uses? Both are in the User Profile section. You will probably need to resize your picture before uploading it.

For pictures to view in posts, there's an icon to hit above the composition box.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Those bushings cannot be done on your own unless you feel like removing the entire subframe from the car. Find an independent shop with the special tool needed to do them on the car. I think I charge 3 or 4 hours to do this (been a while) but 8 if you have to remove the subframe from the car to do it in a press.