Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

engine fault codes

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by weysask, Jul 6, 2008.

weysask guest

I just bought a Peake code reader and reset tool and have 3 code I am looking for information on if anyone can help me out.

I have a 1999 Z3 2.8 and the three thing I need info on are.

1) Brakelight switch/ brake light test???

2) Motorized throttle valve / feedback ???

3)Secondary air system too low Cyl. # 4 - # 6 ???

Steve530 guest

#3 I assume this is like my 2001 530i. The secondary air system injects air into the exhaust system during cold starts. You should hear the pump run for about 30 seconds after a cold start. From what I've read, if the one way valve fails on the vacuum line, moisture can enter the air pump and cause it to seize. The fix is to replace the pump and valve.

Jeron guest

If the pump is seized then you wont hear it run pon a cold start it is very loud like a blowdrier.

Since the "flow too low" is only on one bank I suspect an O2 sensor for the 4-6 bank.

Bimmerdan

#1 is a very common issue on the E36's. I don't know if it's the same on the Z's but I suspect it is. There is a switch that is activated by the brake pedal, up under the dash, that goes out on a fairly regular basis. I've replaced the one on my '95 twice in the last 3 years and once on my '98 in the last year. It gives a "Brake Circuit Failure" warning on the OBC. I'm guessing that's the same error code you're getting?

If so, it's an inexpensive part and about a 15 - 20 minute job.

bvincent944

fault code for peake code reader

my peake code instructions were misplaced can anyone tell me the meaning for code # 62 for a 2000 740il engine.
    • Staff

steven s

lcjhnsn

Sorry, the book for my first generation Peake code reader doesn't list your car. But if you have the reader and lost the manual, you can download .pdf versions of all the Peake reader tech manuals here

http://www.peakeresearch.com/manual.htm