Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E90 and Verizon Blackberry 8130

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by z34jcm, Jun 29, 2008.

z34jcm guest

Does anyone have any specific experience with pairing and using this combination? The car is currently linked to a RAZR V3M and everything works fine. Any assistance will be greately appreciated.

Jonathan Spira guest

Are you running into difficulties in using the 8130?

It´s not clear what your question is.

z34jcm guest

E90 and Blackberry 8130

I am considering an upgrade from the V3m to the Blackberry 8130; and I would like to know if it will work in the car.

Jonathan Spira guest

Based on all available information, but without actual testing, I would say it should do fine.

Abe guest

Test...Test...1, 2, 3...

z34jcm,

I'm using a Blackberry Pearl 8110 in my E92 and it works great! The major difference between the 8110 and the 8130 is the use of the packet-based CDMA2000 network (8130)versus GPRS (8110), which is a packet-based overlay on top of the circuit-based GSM network. CDMA is apparently the wave of the future, and promises faster connectivity than GPRS, but is having some teething problems in European markets right now.

What does this mean to you? Nothing. The phones are nearly identical and should work that way with the car. But I don't like "should" any more than you do, so I'm going to go test this thing (one of my trusty captains has an 8130) in my car and get right back to you on how it pairs up and what services appear to work. I don't have the nav system in my coupe, so I won't be able to tell you how it works there, but I can tell you how it works with the radio-based system. Here's what I need from you (or anybody out there who knows): find out if there are any differences between the E90 radio set up and the E92 Logic 7 system that might affect bluetooth compatibility. If they're the same as far as the phone knows - we're in there!

Disclaimer: I'm not Mr. Spira and don't have the sort of in-depth knowledge of electronic systems that he does. I require fairly basic things from my devices and when they work, I'm happy. If you want to know about specific function compatibilities, let me know and I'll try to test them. Otherwise, I'm going to see if she pairs up consistantly, and if you can access the address book and call logs. Deal?

Jonathan Spira guest

Phones being nearly identical don't guarantee they'll work. In fact, having a Qualcomm chipset (for CDMA2000) means there's different firmware inside the device as well.

In the case of RIM, we haven't yet found a device that doesn't work with the current BMW Bluetooth TCU in a CCC environment. However, that doesn't mean it couldn't happen as we have seen such behavior from other phone makers where CDMA phones don't work but GSM do.

Finally, CDMA is not the wave of the future. Both GSM and CDMA are 2G technologies.

For the record, 3G technologies are either CDMA2000 1x EV-DO or W-CDMA (also known as UMTS) . CDMA networks are migrating to CDMA2000 and GSM networks are migrating in lockstep to UMTS.

Specs for the RIM 8100 series mobiles:

• BlackBerry Pearl 8100, BlackBerry Pearl 8110, BlackBerry Pearl 8120: Quad-band support for 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS and EDGE networks
    • BlackBerry Pearl 8130: Dual-band 800/1900 Mhz CDMA2000 1X Ev-DO networks

Abe guest

Mr. Spira,

I have a great deal of respect for your work in helping BMW owners make informed decisions about their equipment. In fact, I chose my current phone based partly on a review you posted in this forum. I look forward to the results of your testing in this and future matters.

Jonathan Spira guest

Thanks for your kind words and please call me Jonathan!

sandrade guest

I've tested over 10 models of the blackberry with the car and it works fine.. What I do suggest however is try and smooth talk your service advisor into giving you the latest software available for the car... on the older model blackberries such as the 7100i and such, the software upgrade produces much better and faster pairing, call quality, etc..